Author Topic: New here Coupe or Sedan?  (Read 8780 times)

CWall5

New here Coupe or Sedan?
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:51:48 pm »
Hey there i'm in raleigh nc.. and we are looking at buying 2 cars one for me (250) and one for my nephew (140). So if i could get any advise on which car to go with would help. We want both cars to be the same and plan on running in the summer shoot out after we get him some seat time. He has been racing karts for 7 years now and want to get him in sum sort of car and this seems great. Thanxs Chad

Is one of the cars a lil lighter, or more room on the inside to sit seat back a lil?  thanxs

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: New here Coupe or Sedan?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:15:48 pm »
Search the old threads. You'll find lots of answers.
Start with these:

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=288.0

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php/topic,72.0.html

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=260.0

Hope that gives you some information.

Welcome to legends racer!
   Good People, Input, and Info.............................. Enjoy!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

CWall5

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:48:25 pm »
Cool. thanxs for that.. But can anyone tell me if the coupe is lighter than the sedan.? The min weight is 1300 right? so with me being on the big side the lighter the car the better cause i know giving up 100lbs in a 1300 lb car IS NOT GOOD.  THATS BIG!!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:01:37 am »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:27 am »
Hey Chad,

I run the 34 Ford Sedan and mine is 1127 full of fuel.  So me weighing 200 is perfect.  What you will notice though is since your nephew is a lot lighter he can carry more ballast on his car.  Left and to the back.  So his car is going to want to hook around the corner better no matter what body style.  My sugesstion would be to weight the car first.  I have a 34 ford sedan made in 98 and Mike that I race with has the exact same car and we are only a few serial numbers apart and his car is 1167.  That is a 40 pound swing in the same car.  I working on some of these cars and being around them for a while what I have noticed is the coupe guys usually have to carry a ballast in the back no matter what.  This is due to the frame shape and how the sedan has more frame weight in the back.  My suggestion would be a sedan for you and a coupe for your nephew.  Just my 2 cents though

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:35:29 am »
I have a 37 ford sedan and it is 1140lbs with lead and full of gas.  The main thing with the coupes and sedans are how big you are.  I am 6 3 @250 and its still tight in the sedan, long legs.  There is a diff. in the coupes when it comes to head room.  The flat top coupe have the same room as the sedan, but the round top coupes, 40 ford & 37 chevy, have way LESS head room.  I would not fit in a round top coupe.  Another thing to thing is that the coupe and sedan drive diff. and the set up may vary.  The coupes seam to be twitcher than the sedans and you may need the lead added.

lbs is that that big a deal 5-10-20 lbs, the big thing is seat time and seat time and oh ya SEAT TIME.  These things are a hand full to drive at speed let a long being the fastest and it takes some time to get a handle on them..

I would find the dealer in your area or go to a race and get into the pits and talk to the drivers and I am sure that they would let you set in the diff. cars and find what you should be looking for.

Good luck.
Dave