Author Topic: engine case numbers and age?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline slack11

engine case numbers and age?
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:43:22 am »
Can anyone explain how to read the case numbers imprinted in the engine and determine the year/ date of a sealed 1250?  I know they most likely sequential, what numbers correspond to what year(s) built?

Thanks for any help,

Offline Legends16

Re: engine case numbers and age?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:20:35 pm »
Great question. I'm curious about this as well.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:32:55 pm »
Engine numbers for Yamaha motorcycles, which are stamped into the engine block, are decoded and partially listed on a number of websites. The National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration introduced a standard in 1981 where a motorcycle's engine number had to match its vehicle identification number.
The unique 17-character number encodes information about the vehicle. The first and second digits describe the country and manufacturer, while the third is either an "A" or a "1" to designate it as a motorcycle. The fourth digit describes what kind of motorcycle it is, and the fifth character notes the engine displacement in a range of cubic centimeters. The engine type of the vehicle is coded into the sixth digit.The seventh and eighth characters are used by the manufacturer to describe the design sequence and model version. The accuracy of the identification code is checked with the ninth character, and the 10th through 17th digits are the unique vehicle code, beginning with the year and plant of manufacture.

OK, with that said; Here is a link that may help you decipher your engine.
http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/tech-topic-model-id-and-vins.14577/

Hope that helps.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:07:25 pm »
I do not believe our engines are serialized like that in a bike. I think they are just production numbers since they are never intended to go into a on-road motorcycle.

There might be some definition on the manufacture date with the serial number, but if USLCI buys 2500 engines, that might last them a couple of years. So even though it might have been sold in 2016 it could have been sitting on the shelf for some time prior.

That would be a direct question for the USLCI engine shop.

Randy - RPM

anything