Author Topic: Washing car  (Read 11041 times)

Offline tlr_28

Washing car
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:22:01 pm »
I was just curious how you guys are washing your cars? We have just been wiping them down after each race. Didn't know if it was risky to spray them down with a pressure washer or anything like that? Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Washing car
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:25:56 pm »
Some use WD40 (or a mixture). There are sprays available to help the dirt "slide" off.
Nothing wrong with the car wash. Might not want to hose the engine down while it is hot.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:44:59 pm »
I wash it like its a street car. I do not use a pressure washer.
I use whatever car wash soap is on sale, and dump in a little degreaser to help cut through the clay.
Only thing I cover is the air filters.
Hasn't caused any problems in 7 years
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:50:35 pm »
Found some tidbits in some of the old threads for you:

"As far as cleaning, get some Mud Off (or something similar).  You can get it from Speedway Motors or anywere that caters to dirt track racing.  Mix it with water and spray it on every place that will build up mud (inside of fenders, grill, underside of trunk, etc.)  It smells like something similar to WD40 and will keep mud from sticking as well.  This stuff is pretty cheap and a bottle will last a while."

"Also, the Mud Off goes on the car before it goes onto the track and keeps the mud from sticking.  Sorry if I  made it sound like it was a cleaner.  Make sure that you do not spray it on your harness inside the trunk area (if it has petroleum in it, it could hurt the nylon webbing). "

"We use a 50/50 mixture of baby oil and WD40 to keep the mud from sticking. Put it in your garden sprayer and get the insides of the fenders and the leading edges. "

"After some quick searches, I have also found that some are using cooking oil sprays (Pam, or the generic equivilent). Hit up your local Dollar Store and buy it by the case.
 Also the baby oils and WD40 are very popular. Be careful with the WD40 as it may peel up your decals."

Usually;The local car wash will get the job done. Do be careful spraying around wiring and carbs. Filter covers, plastic bags, etc should help.

Steve

Offline tlr_28

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:43:23 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Great help!

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
All this talk of mud on racecars, man and I panic when I have to drive through a sandy pit area to get to the track  :o lol

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 12:15:06 am »
LOL! I hated driving through the gravel in the pits.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:42:50 am »
Yes, I always use Mud-Off.
$10/bottle, lasts 2 seasons.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:52:40 am »
I never pressure wash or even spray wash an asphalt car with water. While on this subject of watering a Legend car, do most of you apply never sieze to all the heim joints, rods, bars and threaded parts? If not, it will help a lot.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline tlr_28

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:46 am »
If you never spray wash it, what do you use when you clean it?

Offline Legends16

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »
I was preasure washing my car until recently after reading some posts on here. I wash the body of the car like I would a regular car and sometimes wax afterwards. I stay away from washing the engine and electronics, pretty much the whole engine compartment. I race asphalt so it doesnt get extremly dirty. When it does Ill wipe it down with a little wd40 and or brake clean. Ive found that turtle wax's "Bug and tar remover" works good for getting all the rubber marks off, I use a lot of that.

If your running a windshield becarful as the standard ones scratch real easy. DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS, one swipe and you've started to scratch the lexan. Use a soft Terry cloth.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 02:14:18 pm »
I'm with Dennis. I never use water. Simple green / Purple Power / Awesome, or the like to wipe down the body, and if needed, some brake clean to clean the frame if it gets oily and greasy.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »
I use simple green, purple power and brake clean.  no water.  to get body to shine nice use pledge on everything wheels body and lexan.  works very nice.