Author Topic: Raceceiver/Radio Combo  (Read 12389 times)

Offline NCSU_racer

Raceceiver/Radio Combo
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:13 am »
Hey guys! I have a "radio" question for y'all. The two tracks I'm thinking of running this year (Wake/Southern Nat'l) don't use Raceceivers for tower to driver communication. I'd prefer not to go race without some kind of heads up of what's happening on the track. I got to thinking...Could I buy a Raceceiver and some kind of radio device (which one is my question?) and have a one way connection between a "spotter"?

If so, whats a good cheap radio? I was looking at the Midland GXT 860. Ebay has it for $60+-. 

And before y'all start yelling about the use of a radio in these cars, I'm just using it in terms of safety for yellows and to get me out of the way of the leaders (if I'm real slow my first year).

Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
Re: Raceceiver/Radio Combo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:15 am »
Try Sampson Racing communications. We got one of the cheap end systems. It has helped get him out trouble on several occasions.

Robert

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:45:26 am »
I looked at Sampson but it was still like $450 for a system. I was thinking of a single radio for under $100 and using a receceiver to pick up the frequency. Could get all of that for around $175.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:03:23 am »
Motorola from Radio Shack
Raceceiver from VMS Motorsports  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:33 am »
If that combo works then I'm all for it Jim!
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »
Zack, the cheapest way to do this is to buy a FRS Radio (Motorola talk about, or any number of cheap knock-offs) usually you can get a 2 pack of these at walmart for $20-30. Use Channel 1 on the FRS radio, and channel 1006 (i think, might be 1007) on the raceceiver. Our local track didn't have a radio to use with us, so I bought one of these and gave it to the tower. We have a large, 1/2 mile track, and it works well. Wake and SNMP are small enough that there should be no issue if you ask them to do the same. It is likely they don't do it, because they don't want to buy a compatible radio.

Please note if you want to use just for your team, it is not legal per INEX rules. "57. RADIOS PROHIBITED: No drivers or crew members
are permitted to use one-way or two-way radios on raceday,
including practice sessions."
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »
Unless the local track allows it. SNMP does. Couple others I know of also allow them. That is why there is a rule for taping the harness to the back of the helmet and removing the harness from the car at any INEX sanctioned race.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:06 pm »
Zack, the cheapest way to do this is to buy a FRS Radio (Motorola talk about, or any number of cheap knock-offs) usually you can get a 2 pack of these at walmart for $20-30. Use Channel 1 on the FRS radio, and channel 1006 (i think, might be 1007) on the raceceiver. Our local track didn't have a radio to use with us, so I bought one of these and gave it to the tower. We have a large, 1/2 mile track, and it works well. Wake and SNMP are small enough that there should be no issue if you ask them to do the same. It is likely they don't do it, because they don't want to buy a compatible radio.

Please note if you want to use just for your team, it is not legal per INEX rules. "57. RADIOS PROHIBITED: No drivers or crew members
are permitted to use one-way or two-way radios on raceday,
including practice sessions."

Side note:
If a series or track wants to use Raceceivers, please contact me.
With a Raceceiver order for a series or track, I can have Raceceiver supply you the radio at no charge

Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:05 am »
Thanks for the input fellas!
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline Plumcrazy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:28:49 pm »
I know this is an older thread, but I got a 4 watt radio and headset from Rugged Radios.  I have my kids in a Legend and a Bando.  3/8 mile track.  Both of them have difficulty hearing me at race speed.  I'm wondering if it's my radio or the fact that we're using the Raceceiver with pretty good (sealed) ear plugs.  Our track, as far as I know, doesn't use a radio.  If they do, they've never told us.  Other racers have said there is a freq, but the track never uses it.  Not really surprised.  Anyway, I'm just trying to get a workable system. 

I'm told by guys at the track that run the mini-cups that they could never hear anyone on the Raceceiver due to interference from the motor.  I'm guessing this would be true with the Bando motor as well if that's the case.  In any event, I'd really like to get a working system in our Legend and would appreciate any feedback!

Adam

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 05:08:59 pm »
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:35 am »
I went the Racing Electronics route. They are pricy but they work really well.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline Plumcrazy

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 11:35:48 am »
Thanks Jim.  I may call you about these.  We used the earfuze set because I had trouble finding buds that would fit the kids.  They seemed like decent quality earbuds so I wasn't sure if it was my radio, the buds, the raceceiver or the car!  I don't need them to talk back to me.  I get enough of that when they are out of the car.   ;D  I just want to help them stay out of trouble (when the track allows it).

anything