Author Topic: Question for dealer or tech official  (Read 10122 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Question for dealer or tech official
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:14 pm »
I am trying to determine the legality of a bunch of wheels that I have here.
I race on dirt with the American Racer tires, which we have been using for 2 full seasons now.
There is no mention of a wheel & tire  weight in the rule book for them, only for the Federals.

Rule Book:
76. WHEELS: Any type of automotive steel wheel that has a 13” diameter, a 7” width and the offset of 3” to 3 1/4” from back rim edge to back of wheel center is permitted. The minimum weight of a Federal tire and standard wheel must be at least 31.0 pounds. The minimum weight of an Aero or Bassett (INEX stamped and stickered ONLY) wheel and tire must be at least 28.0 pounds.  All wheel weights must be covered with duct tape. Bleeder or relief valves are not permitted in the wheels. INEX approved (and marked) beadlock wheel will be allowed to be used on the right rear corner ONLY.

I emailed Scott R., and his response was what Aero or Bassett wheels could weigh if stickered or un-stickered, but that doesn't really answer my question.
I have multiple brands/ages/finishes of wheels, and would like to verify that what I put on my car is legal.

Does anyone have any more information?

Thanks,
Jim

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Question for dealer or tech official
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:56:07 pm »
Jim,

Regardless of wheel or tire combination, I would think that they still have to meet the rule.
Not sure what Scott R. told you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:57:25 pm »
I was kind of thinking the same thing. When we mounted up the new AR tires on the Aero wheels and I picked it up I knew that it was WAY under the rule book weight. They all have INEX stickers so I figured I was OK but that is not what the rule really says. I think they forgot about dirt when the new wheels came out.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »
I don't even think a USLC brand chrome wheel with an American Racer would be 31 pounds.
It's been 2 years, and there is no rule printed that I have seen for the American Racer wheel and tire minimum weight.
That is why I am asking the question.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:22:40 pm »
The Trap wheels (cheaper & heavier) that you buy through INEX w/ or w/o chrome with an American racer tire does not weigh 31 LBS. Most of us dirt guys just thought the rule to be for federals only.

I think as long as it is a steel wheel that is heavier than the Aeros, I think you'll be ok. I may be wrong, but I believe the approved aeros are lighter than the bassetts.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:30:19 pm »
Got another response from Scott today:

Its hard to say what the "stock" (non-stickered) wheel & American Racer tire combination minimum would be for sure. This "minimum" would need to be set with a stock (non-stickered) wheel & a completely worn out American Racer tire. In the time that we have been using the American Racer tire, I haven't seen many worn out tires & those that were worn some, I haven't weighed the wheel & tire combination (all we have here ar new tires).

The stock wheel & new American Racer tire combination should be aprox. 28.5lbs.

The tires can vary in weight 2 - 3 lbs. depending on wear. So, weighing the wheels separately would be best. The lightest legal (non-stickered) wheel is approx. 16.5lbs.

I hope this helps. We run into the same thing with the asphalt tires. You would be surprised the weight difference between a new tire & a worn out tire.

Not sure how the wheel/tire weight rule can be enforced, guess I won't worry about it too much
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:32:40 pm »
But both have INEX stickers. If  I'm not mistaken they are the same weight Aero and the Bassett  in the light weight version. I think the real questions in not what WE  think but what INEX thinks.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »
I guess INEX doesn't think about it to much.  ;)

anything