Author Topic: Gear oil in the LR brake housing?  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Plumcrazy

Gear oil in the LR brake housing?
« on: August 25, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »
Hey guys.  Been awhile since I've been on.  We've had a busy summer and have only been able to race a few times.  Quick question (I hope).  My driver was complaining about the brakes during the last race.  He actually had his best outing ever, but we had to run an extra lap because the local flagger can't count.  LOL.  Anyway, took the white flag (for lap 26) in 9th but there was a mess up ahead and we got caught in it.  He didn't actually touch anything but the outside wall because he couldn't get the car stopped.

Anyway, I took off the rear drums and the shoes look okay, but the LR had oil in it.  It's definitely not brake fluid and it appears to be coming out of the axle housing.  Not a lot, but enough.  The shoe was coated with it.  Not good.  Anyway, I run Amsoil gear oil and I'd put 1 qt in it when we put the new rear in at the beginning of the season.  I got that quantity here on the forum.  I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and whether there is just too much oil in the rear or if there might be a seal problem.  I'd rather not pull the axle unless the smart guys here think it would help.

On another note, do you think I should just replace the shoes at this point?

Thanks guys!

Adam

Offline ajagoditsh

Re: Gear oil in the LR brake housing?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:28:52 pm »
I had the same problem earlier in the year.  Had to replace the axle seal.  Pretty easy to do. 

Tony
Tony Jagoditsh

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »
As far as the shoes, you may be able to wipe them down good with brake cleaner and save them.  If severely saturated, your best bet may be to replace them.  As far as the seal, the seal you have may be fine. Make sure seal is inserted all the way into rear end housing until in bottoms out.  If you used something that was bigger than OD of seal to install it, it will only be flush with end of housing and seal contact will be on outer edge at best of bearing retainer on axle.  Use a seal driver slightly smaller than OD of seal to install and push seal approx. another 1/4" into axle housing and this will allow seal to contact center of bearing retainer on axle.   Hope this helps!

Good luck!  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Plumcrazy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:24:19 pm »
Thank you guys!  I checked again tonight and it definitely isn't the brake cylinder leaking.  I will get new seals tomorrow.  Thanks again!

Adam