Author Topic: Looking To Get Into Legends  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Hibs06

Looking To Get Into Legends
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:48:55 am »
Hi,

I've raced 12 years now in both circle track and road racing.  Recently I've decided I would like to go back to road racing and am considering a legends car.  I'm torn between buying a new versus used car but am leaning towards new.  Can someone please give me their opinion on this and anything else I should be asking questions about regarding this class?

Cheers!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking To Get Into Legends
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:27:18 am »
Welcome to Legendracer!
Hope you are enjoying the site. There are several old threads on new vs used cars. Obviously, a new car would have all the latest updates.
A used car (depending on age) may need some updating to meet current INEX rules. On the up side, you can usually buy a good used car and pick up spare parts along with it. If you are planning to run in INEX events, then you want to make sure the car has a VIN plate and title. You will also want to look into sealed engine vs open (non-sealed) engine. Open engines allow you to do your own work on the engine. They are slightly less horsepower, however. Sealed engines would need to be sent in to the engine shop at Charlotte for most repairs. If buying a used car, the engine may have to be sent in to obtain current seals (See rule book on engines with older seals). Check out the ads in our advertising section here on the site.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:55:59 am »
Where do you live? We have a couple of cars for sale. Both are used but up to date with sealed motors and titles.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Hibs06

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 03:28:50 pm »
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I'll look into what was mentioned above and start doing my research.  I live in Northern California.  More specifically Petaluma which is roughly 15 minutes away from Sears Point Raceway.  I'll be looking to sell our modified and potentially purchase a Legends car.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:38:33 pm »
This is why I ask eople to fill out thier profiles. It helps people know where you live and tracks in your area.
Get ahold of Randy at RPM (racerrad8 here on the site). Here is a link to his website: http://www.rpmracingca.com/

Steve

Offline Hibs06

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:52:12 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Just changed my profile too.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:31 am »
Thank You!

Steve

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:15 pm »
Shoot me an email and we can start the discussion. There is a lot to consider when talking new & used.

I was the Nor-Cal road racing coordinator for the last 13 years until I had to step away due to work obligations this past two years. But I have been involved, racing officiating and coordinating in Legends & Thunder Roadsters since 1994 and I have seen almost all of it.

I will be out of town after about noon tomorrow, Tuesday until Thursday morning, going to head over to SF to see a ball game a spend some time over there for my wife's birthday.

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Hibs06

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:45 am »
If you want to talk I am in Santa Rosa. We run with the SRL and Legends in the Pacific.

Shot in the dark here...you don't happen to live on Highway 12 do you?

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:26 am »
http://bhmotorsports.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/joy-nasa-at-sonoma-this-weekend/

Having competed in SCCA road racing (FF, FV, GT1) in the past and having just started racing a Legends Car on dirt ovals, I would say that the Legends Car would probably be a lot of fun and cost effective in road racing.   The car was originally designed by one of the best road race drivers ever: Elliot Forbes-Robinson.   You will have to get used to not having anti-roll bars, but generally I find the car to handle very well. It is easy to set up and maintain--and there is a lot of driver protection with steel all around you.  You will also have to get used to the motorcycle type trans---sort of like the Skip Barber formula cars.  While brakes are very adequate for ovals---they appear to be critically marginal in some road race situations.

My advice is to always buy a used car in the beginning and use it to learn.  When you are consistently running for the win, then---it might be time to invest in a new car. If possible, it would be good if you could buy a car that has been competitive in road racing already. 

Randy at RPM has a lot of experience and I would use his knowledge to speed up your learning curve. 

Offline Hibs06

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate all of this great advice.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:23 pm »
The Dwarf Car was originally developed by Ernie Adams. John Cain (Dwarf Car Co., AZ) and Ernie turned the whole deal in to a race car thing. Elliot Forbes-Robinson and Humpy Wheeler took that idea and put fenders and runningboards on it and standardized rules (hence, spec designation on the Legends Cars).

Kind of a toss up on brakes, depending who you talk to. There are more aggressive pads available through several, manufacturers. Whole thing started off with stock Toyota front disc brakes and stock drum brakes for the rear. Dwarf Cars have run the same Wilwood calipers  that INEX is calling "New" and four wheel discs for all four wheels for years. I recently picked up a set for cheap (new). Wilwood sells the same caliper for $89.00 each.

SCCA allows Hoosier and GoodYear slicks for some of their racing division. See current SCCA rules. I have also gotten reports over the past few years from several Legends Car drivers that run SCCA, that they are allowed these slicks. As far as I know, BFG's and Federals are also allowed.

I like the advice about buying used to start out. One never knows if they will like this type of car. Also, used cars tend to come with spares. Always a plus!

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Steve

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, we will be talking this week.

I see you have posted my house car, Phil Joy as well.

Steve,

As far as brakes are concerned, the new Wilwood calipers have not worked out well for us. We have converted all of the cars back to the stock calipers and the guys are much happier. The stock brakes, with the correct brake pads are anything but marginal.

I have had to back down the aggressiveness of the compounds due to too much brake.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

anything