Author Topic: Steering column shaft and shaft tube needed.......  (Read 8214 times)

Offline slack11

Steering column shaft and shaft tube needed.......
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:39:33 am »
Anyone know where to get a length of the tubing used for the steering column.  Want to make a longer one for my car, and also am looking for the tube that This shaft runs through with the plastic bushings, again looking to fabricate something for the upper column.

Thanks

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Steering column shaft and shaft tube needed.......
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:15:55 pm »
Your local race shop should have it, or let me know what length, and if you want the standard or thicker walled shaft, and I can get it to you, shipping would probably be the same or more than the cost of the tubing though, so try local first
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:17:01 pm »
Should be able to find something at your local steel recycler or steel supply place.
There are places on the internet you can buy steel tubing from also, but you would have shipping costs.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:24:39 pm »
I've came up with a nice replacement for the plastic bushings. It is a bearing that is really smooth but according to rule rule book is not legal.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:40:17 am »
the shaft is .750 steel.    .120 wall thickness. Just figure out length you want and go to a local steel supply shop.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:13:17 pm »
After reading this, I checked our shaft and there was a lot of play in it. I took the plastic bushings out and replaced them brass ones, but I had to clearance them before they would slide on. Now there os zero play. Thanks for the heads up. Iam always looking for ways to cut down on the amount of play in the steering.

Thanks,
Robert

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:39:50 pm »
Yes the brass are available at most hardware stores, you generally will have to do a little work to get the perfect fit. Also when you install them apply some grease it will help. Getting them to stay in place can be done a couple ways. 1)Drill throught the steel tube and through the brass, tap it and install a set screw, be careful you do not want the set screw beyond the brass bushing. I usually loctite the set screw. 2)Do the same only use a grease fitting instead of a set screw. 3)Use split collar clamps to keep the in place. I prefer the set screw method.