Author Topic: Two way radio's now legal for INEX  (Read 42389 times)

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Two way radio's now legal for INEX
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 12:12:31 am »
...I blame people having no mechanical skills anymore and just pay people to do things. People paying others to do setups and stuff like that.

That is what the big funded people do which are trying to get heir kids to NASCAR. That is what USLCI has made this series into, just look at the USLCI website and you can see the "Legends to NASCAR" weekly updates. I wonder what they are trying to sell...

You can't build an engine anymore, you can't repair a steel spindle or straighten a bent shock. You just get to buy new...hmm, why do you need mechanical ability to bolt on parts...

The majority of the Legend racers outside of the hub of Charlotte are a family man, or a father trying to pass along the enjoyment of Saturday night racing and enjoying the Legend car for what it is an affordable class/car. I have been around since 1994 and the consistent  goal of the parent company of USLCI is to please their stock holders. How do they do that...

Make everything a proprietary item that you can only buy from them and then they can have any price they want, they make money.

When I built my first engine back in 1995 I bought a set of Wiseco pistons direct for Wiseco for under $300.00. The last set I bought a year or so ago seemed like they were almost $600.00. You cannot buy them from Wiseco you must get them for USLCI.

Where does it stop...wheels, shocks, engines, ring & pinions, tires, ignition systems, suspension components, spindles, body parts, chassis, fuel cell, rack & pinion...

It doesn't stop, because they hold the cards and tell us what we are going to do in their series.

So, how do you make sure your young son is the next (insert name here) NASCAR superstar?

You pay someone who has the advanced technical skill, ability and means to get him to the front no matter the cost. They can cut up the chassis and make it better, they can get behind the shocks & tune them, they can get behind the engine seals and build them, they change out the guts of the red box for the guts of the adjustable Dyna ignition components. They do all of this because they cannot function within the rulebook and they buy the best of everything, spending the unlimited funds to get their next superstar to the next level.

Do you think USLCI is not getting into the brake game to save you money, are you kidding?

They are getting into the brake game because they have no other way to get their portion of the money being spent on the current system by others who have found a system that works better than anything they have to offer . Do you have to have the BM components to be a winner in this division, hell no. But since that is what the winners are using right now that is what everyone must "run" to win.

So, now the INEX(Wilwood) brake system will come along and out perform what is already out there because they are offering better components to work with. Do you think the BM will have a better brake pad than USLCI...I guarantee it.

Do you think I will have one too, damn right. Why should I let USLCI have all of the money?

So, now you have to buy the new brake system and USLCI gets their money and they are happy. You then have to buy the better performing RPM, Wilwood or BM pads because that is what the fast guys are using so the cost is going up; USLCI doesn't care they already got your money.

Now, lets add radios, as an option just like the better brake pads...Before you were able to run in the top five behind the fast guys...Without spending the money on all of the "options" you are going to fall behind. But since you bought the new brake system and radios you should be able to stop on a dime when the "spotter" tells you to stop for that wreck ahead...but the poor guy just out for the enjoyment of the sport is going to plow right through the back of your car because he doesn't have all of the "options".

Bring them on, I change with the times because this is the series I choose to participate in. I will adapt and continue to use my skill & ability to take my program to the next level. This will also benefit all of my current and future customers, whether they drop their car off or a guy needing guidance, they will all benefit from the new "options" after I get them dialed in.

The biggest issue I have is the fact USLCI is now going to require me and everyone to spend more money to buy the proprietary components to continue to be competitive. Thank god I am in California and a long way from the "hub" and there are not too many dads out here that think their young sons will be sitting is a cup car in less than 10 years.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline racertoms27

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 08:05:55 am »
I honestly don't mind (well maybe a little) spending money to replace a part on the car that can be improved or maybe has become obsolete. Adding radios is just something that doesn't need to be done. It's apples and oranges comparing components on the car to adding the availabilty of radios.
One thing I do believe, is that if you are going to allow radios, you might want to make them mandatory. Half the field with and half without is the beginnings of a disaster.  A driver/spotter raltionship is not something you can throw together at a moments notice just to have a voice in your ear. Takes far more than that.
Tom Sherman

knoxracing

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 09:16:50 am »
Hey good point on the mechanical skills!!!!! I agree, when alot of were young we worked on everything we owned because either dad did or we had to because we could not afford it otherwise. You could change brakes, water pumps, belts, radiators, on and on and on. Today, no one works on cars, the interest of the kids is not to get greasy, not to tear things apart and figure out how to put them together. OF COURSE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYONE___ DICLAIMER___.  Not to mention todays cars are not as easy to work on, its a changed world and part of the change is less hands on and more books and degrees. I do believe we all have to remember atleast here in my area the dirt tracks are doing well. the asphalt is not. Could that be because kids in rural areas where the dirt tracks are still get greasy and and want to be mechanical?

knoxracing

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 09:38:40 am »
Randy I am with you and agree with alot of what you have to say. I think Tom Sherman followed up with a very valid point. They are seperate isssues totally.  I too Randy want customers to keep bringing me cars and dads to keep bringing me young drivers, BUT the rest of those that race on a budget and do not race on a team are screwed and I am pissed! All you guys barely racing week to week you are the important ones, the kids come and the kids go. The weekly racer generally stays around for years, they are the real deal that keeps this going. Statements like "if you cant afford radios then you should get out", WRONG, these guys are good people and they buy a LOT of parts as a group. I have seen many people that go over the edge and deprive there family of things they shoudnt because they want to race, racers taking out loans to race, etc., not good at all. It is not about money so much as its about how it changes the game of Legend car racing. The guy that goes to the track by himself is screwed, the dad that gets his son in this and has no clue about racing is screwed, how is he going to be on a radio? When it gets serious time near the end of the year and people team up by using the radios the fights will begin. Do you know how many drivers will get out of a wrecked race car and say "my spotter said it was ok, or I was clear". How many times have you heard dads on the fence trying to yell at there kids on the tracks with hand motions and yelling, put him on a radio and see what happens. 
Dennis Knox
330-310-9212

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:35 am »
Randy I am with you and agree with alot of what you have to say. I think Tom Sherman followed up with a very valid point. They are seperate isssues totally.  I too Randy want customers to keep bringing me cars and dads to keep bringing me young drivers, BUT the rest of those that race on a budget and do not race on a team are screwed and I am pissed! All you guys barely racing week to week you are the important ones, the kids come and the kids go. The weekly racer generally stays around for years, they are the real deal that keeps this going. Statements like "if you cant afford radios then you should get out", WRONG, these guys are good people and they buy a LOT of parts as a group. I have seen many people that go over the edge and deprive there family of things they shoudnt because they want to race, racers taking out loans to race, etc., not good at all. It is not about money so much as its about how it changes the game of Legend car racing. The guy that goes to the track by himself is screwed, the dad that gets his son in this and has no clue about racing is screwed, how is he going to be on a radio? When it gets serious time near the end of the year and people team up by using the radios the fights will begin. Do you know how many drivers will get out of a wrecked race car and say "my spotter said it was ok, or I was clear". How many times have you heard dads on the fence trying to yell at there kids on the tracks with hand motions and yelling, put him on a radio and see what happens. 
Dennis Knox
330-310-9212
+1 couldn't agree more with that statement.  The only time i see radios being helpful would be if someone is involved in a wreck and needs the spotter to take a look at the damage on the car and if it is needed to pit or not.  Also if someone has a mechanical issue and they pull off they can relay it back to their crew.

Dan

Offline Legends16

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 01:06:16 pm »
here again they are trying to make this more safe and or more into the next phase and people are already bitching. if you do not want it do not use it !!!!as simple as that.. this is not meant for 10 year olds !!!!it is for the pro and masters divisions.people whom know how to do this type of racing.. if you would  just quit bitching and allow for the new things to come and race and shut up you might be getting somewhere !!!!!if you cannnot afford to go race to begin with why don't you park them and sell them to someone who wants new inovative things not the horse and buggy days...you probably cannnot even use a computer either !!!you are against that t oo.probably were against the raceciever also..JUST LET THIS NEW INOVATIVE STUFF COME AND SUPPORT IT OR GET OUT!!!!!!

Eveyone here is entitled to there opinion and there is absolutly no reason be spiteful about it. I was in fact stating my opinion, not bitching. We race with motors designed over 20 years ago, parts of cars that are older then that! If you want inovation, your in the wrong racing series.

I started racing legend cars this past year. I own my first house and am raising a 2 and 1/2 year old. I entered this series when karting in my area was on the decline and seeing my friends race cars with 20+ fields I became interested. I came into this series with the understanding that if I blow an engine, destroy the front or back of the racecar I could be out for weeks, months or the year. I also understood that Id race about once or twice a month and I can accept that. Its the risk I am willing to take.

So am I hurting legend series racing? Am taking anything anyway from anyone. No I am not. I am still a Inex member, paying the same dues.

I could'nt  aggree more with Dennis on this issue. Others have stated the risks of some racers with spotters racing againsts others without spotters. Thats one of the things I am affraid of. A $900 radio system IMO isnt going to help the racer on a budget like myself and the SUPPORT IT OR GET OUT attitude is just wrong. Im not the kid with the dad that has unlimited funds, 2+ racecars, 5 motors, the 30ft trailer ect, ect but I am here racing and supporting the seiries the  best I can.

From my own computer,

Eric

PS. I have emailed John at USLC, politely giving him my opinion on this matter.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
I know we are new, but after several incidents on the track we bought radios so I could warn him of problems on the track. I don't speak to him while he is racing so I don't distract him. He wouldn't answer anyway. We got a starter outfit for about $450 and could have gotten something cheaper, $250 I think. I believe them to be a great tool for the driver and Coach/crew chief. Like them or not you are racing against them anyway. There is the guy that doesn't know how to follow the rules and has one in their car already. It even happens in the Bandolero classes.

knoxracing

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:22 pm »
LOL Who you are is no secret, thats the funny part!

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 08:21:41 am »
Was I hiding myself  by not putting "Robert" at the bottom? It' s in my profile for all to see. :D

Robert

How's that?   ;D

Offline Babblinb

• Smith Boys Racing
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:59 am »
I know we are new, but after several incidents on the track we bought radios so I could warn him of problems on the track. I don't speak to him while he is racing so I don't distract him. He wouldn't answer anyway. We got a starter outfit for about $450 and could have gotten something cheaper, $250 I think. I believe them to be a great tool for the driver and Coach/crew chief. Like them or not you are racing against them anyway. There is the guy that doesn't know how to follow the rules and has one in their car already. It even happens in the Bandolero classes.

WOW, I am at a lost for words.
Bryan Smith, Dad with 30' Trailer
I'll probably have to bring my own friends!!!!!!

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 09:35:53 am »
I don't get it... ???
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Legends16

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
I do.  ;D

knoxracing

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »
Like I said its no secret!

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »
Do you know me?? Scott  does.

knoxracing

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:33 pm »
UPDATED FROM USLC:

The two way radio system has been shelved for 2013. USLC may do some R&D with them at various events. USLC was overwhelmed with the response they received, there will be no two way system for now. USLC feels Racing Eelectronics jumped the gun with the display at the PRI show, this contributed to the demise of the rule change. Thank you to EVERYONE that was involved in helping this happen.

I personally would like to thank EVERY person that  made a comment on this site! This is a sticky subject with multiple opinions and it NEVER got out of control or became nasty! Thank you to you all no matter what your opinion was or is!

anything