Author Topic: Bringing a Legends from Canada into the US.....  (Read 8141 times)

Offline slack11

Bringing a Legends from Canada into the US.....
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:51 am »
Anyone had to do this?  I am looking at a car from Canada, but I am close enough to the border to go get it myself.  I talked to customs and they told me I had to broker it into the country...  I tried to explain what  a legends car is, and I really think they had no idea, and kept talking about a "real" car and what I would have to do....... Tried to explain the dfference, really don't think they were listening.......

Anyone have any experiences with something like this?  Just need a little info to see if I am being told the right things...  Don't want to spend the 300 bucks to broker it into the country if it is unneeded.

Thanks.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Bringing a Legends from Canada into the US.....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:07:09 pm »
Unless you bring it back as a parts car, you may have to pay the duty to get it across the border. My  brother is looking to sell a car to a guy in Canada (Antique, not race car). They have different laws up there. Until my bro gets back from vacation, I don't have any other info for you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »
But it is not a roadworthy car and has no actual title, vin, or registration per the DOT, so wouldn't it be just like a piece of personal proerty then?
I dont know, just thinking out loud
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »
Hmmm! Point taken Jim.
My brothers car is a running, drivable, vehicle.
There is some body damage, so the guy can claim he bought it for parts. Race cars.... Just not sure. When my bro gets back from his vacation I can have him contact his friend at the border patrol and ask. Will be about another week.

Steve

Offline jrhgomez

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:31:29 pm »
I found this.  It doesn't look to difficult but the form make it look like you will need a broker.
Information Page:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Racing/Racing.html

Link to needed form:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Racing/

I hope it helps.

Offline slack11

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »
Allright here is my story...... I live very close to three places to cross the border.  Stopped at one on the way home from looking at the car, they told me that I had to broker it to get it across....  300 bucks and a bunch of paperwork....  Just on a hunch, I drove up to the other crossing tonight, stopped in this time with a picture of the car, explained exactly what it was and what it would be used for, and they told me there that all i would need is a bill of sale saying that the ownership had transferred to me when I crossed back into the us...... Nothing else

Guess which crossing I am gonna pick to come home?

I was told also that because these are manufactured in the us that I wouldn't have to pay duty either.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
Most of the border patrol people have no clue as to the actual laws. Most times they deal with traffic back and forth bringing clothing and such across the border. I see a lot of that up here in Montana. Sounds like you found your border crossing. Just be sure the guy you asked is working when you bring the car across. ;D

Steve

Offline Genz 39

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »
I bought a race car in Canada.  He brought it across the border like he was going to race it.  He went back with a empty trailer, no questions asked.

Offline slack11

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:21:23 pm »
Here is the ending to my story... Called customs  the day I was leaving  just to check again, the officer told me that all i needed was a bill of sale saying it was now mine.   Went with an empty trailer to get it, came back across, and all they did was look at thebill of sale, and open the trailer door, said good luck, and sent me on my way....

Actually canadian customs gave me more of a hassle going into Canada than the us.  Going in they made me pull over and inspect the empty trailer. Coming home it was all of about 3 minutes at the booth..

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
Glad things worked out good for you.
Now....
Good Luck!!!!
Look forward to rebuild pics and your progress next season.
 ;D

Steve

Offline jrhgomez

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:19:24 pm »
It is usually US customs that is the pain, but I'm glad it went well. I will see you in April at Evans Mills.

Offline slack11

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 11:09:54 am »
hey,
  did you buy the 22 car?   If you did, you may need a larger seat than the one that is in there.  The seat that came in my car is too big for me, but may be right for you.  If you are interested drop me a message here and I'll give you a call.

nate

anything