Author Topic: painting  (Read 9873 times)

Offline faster12

painting
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:19 pm »
hey guys Im new to legends car racings coming from a dirt car background. Im planning on taking my car and getting it wrapped here in the next few weeks but I want to paint my fenders. I was wondering what yall use as far as paint? I thought about just spray painting them but I doubt that will give me the glossy red finish Im shooting for. so i figured id just ask what the pros do lol

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: painting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:59:53 pm »
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
I assume since you are wrapping it, that you will want the fenders to look as good as the wrap, so you should get them professionally painted.
Personally, I do my own paint work, but my cars aren't show cars, and by the second night of dirt racing, they are chipped to hell anyway.
I use  tractor paint in a cheap HVLP gun in my garage. Like I said, it ain't pretty, but looks good on the track and from the stands.
If you're running asphalt, you should  have less damage on a weekly basis
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:41 am »
leave them white so when you have to replace them (and you will) it will match.     ;D
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Briz81

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:34:21 pm »
Since I have access to a Auto Body Shop, I used automotive paint, and it really shined nice. However, depending on budget etc..., it may not be practical. As for spray paint, in my experiance the glossier you go, the worse it will look. For whatever reason the glossy spray paint never seems to sit right and tends to magnify all the flaws. However, if you were going for a flat or semigloss look, spray paint would work just fine.

Offline faster12

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »
So the only color new fenders ship in is white? That sucks lol
I've seen a few dirt cars painted with tractor paint it is a good cheap alternative. I guess I need to call some friends of mine that work at body shops and see if they can fix me up at a decent price...

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »
They used to come in different color gel coats, but stopped a few years ago
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 04:04:32 pm »
They used to come in different color gel coats, but stopped a few years ago

Did they really?  I did not know that.  I'd pay extra to get gloss black gel coat fenders. 

Having to sand fenders and then take them to body shop to get painted for $50-$100 each only have them them knocked off and drug down the track or run over is a pain in the ass.

MT
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:04 pm »
I believe they came in black, white, yellow, red, and orange
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »
Don't forget Petty blue too.

I will have to look and see if I have any of the flyers from 1994 when I started...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27:21 pm »
In it since 1994 Randy ?? I didn't know that. lol thought I was a senior, starting in 2002

~G~

Yep, I had 7 or 8 asphalt Pro state championships by then, we had already pretty much stopped circle tracking and were road racing full time by 2001.

Heck, Hank supplied the parts for my first 1200 rebuild halfway through the 95 season; some 380+ engines ago...

Since then, three National titles for me, three for my two sons, as well as four World Finals Victories between us as well.

In fact RPM powered and/or maintained cars captured 3 of 4 INEX Road racing National Championships and 2-4 World Finals victories in 2011.

Randy - RPM

** sorry for getting off topic **
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:57:47 am »
You guys are bumming me out.  I'm bummed to know that they used to offer colored fenders and don't anymore.

MT
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

Offline faster12

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:36 pm »
I do a lot of fiberglass work in the marine corps I wonder if there would be a market for repairing busted fenders?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 10:38:31 pm »
How much would you charge to repair a fender back to ready to paint condition?
Compare that to a new, gel-coated fender for $85.00, and you'll have your answer.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline faster12

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:48:49 pm »
When I get home I'm going to do my research on the cost of materials and repair a couple of busted fenders i have. I think I can repair them for a very reasonable price back to almost new condition.

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:04 am »
I have one front fender (old and heavy) that has/had 7 coats of paint on it.  With a little work, the darn thing painted up very nice.  I was amazed.

I am going to pick up all the busted fenders I can...  fiberglass is not that difficult to repair.  My pit-man likes to remind me that "It is not the space shuttle.  It is a race car."  It is a 50 foot paint job...  It only has to look good from 50 feet.

On my hobby stock, I used tractor paint with an HVLP, then my daughter would paint all the new scratches and dents with a sponge brush every week.

Charles

3/8+ dirt, 24 degree, flatter straights, goes from soup to dry slick