Author Topic: Seating Woes!  (Read 11267 times)

Offline Briz81

Seating Woes!
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »
Sooo... awhile back I got a custom made full containment seat from a company I will leave nameless. When I purchased the seat I had them do the measurements and specified my height 6’ 0” and weight 205 and explained it would be for a legend car. Being a noob, I was not aware to ask about seat layback or mounting assuming they knew better than I. Well I received the seat and found that it was a 20 degree layback and way too cramped for my feet, my knees hit the wheel, and my left arm banged right against the edge of the rib protection (which was too tight to move further in).

From my reading here and talking to others it seems a 10 degree layback would have been the better choice. However, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and drove several hours back there to have them offer suggestions. They said smaller wheel (fine with that), cut some of the brake pedal down and move it back (was not fine with) and then I would need to change the steering column and extend the steering shaft, do all new mounts for the seat, belts and have to cut into the head restraint of the containment seat as it hit the roll bar and caused a even bigger gap to the fire wall. 

After spending over a grand on the seat, I was not keen on dumping another several hundred bucks in fabrication work on a seat I was not crazy about or unsure it would still be comfortable.

So my questions are, do you think a ten degree was the better option for someone my size, would those mods mentioned make a 20 degree seat more comfortable, is having your bicep hit the rib protection part of the seat normal, and am I out of line asking to get a refund as it is not what I expected.

Sorry for the novel, but I really wanted to hear from those with more experience with these cars.

Offline JGRacing

Re: Seating Woes!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »
I am 5' 10" and had to go with a 20 degree seat to keep my helmet below the roll bars.  Leg space is a little cramped and wheel hit my thighs until I put a 1" spacer on the wheel hub.  The stock seat mounts are not wonderful and I could see where they may not fit all seat types, espcially a custom seat.  There were some posts on this site on the seat mounting subject with some good ideas on greatly improving them.  The rib section of my seat hits the inside of the arm and I was able to bend it in and out until I found a somewhat comfortable place for it.  The chassis do not come from the factory as a perfect fit for everyone.  Not sure I would want to move belt mounts unless needed, but could see where it might be needed on some seats and could be another thing that could be made more safe while you are at it.  I just have a basic off the shelf seat, but with how tight the cockpit is for me, I am not sure that I could even fit big shoulder restraints or a full containment seat if I wanted to with the existing seat mounts.  Someone on here that has experience with custom full containment seats might be able to provide better advice, but my car did need some tweaking to get somewhat comfortable with a stock seat.  If you are not a welder, make sure that someone who knows what they are doing welds the seat and harness mounts.     

Offline Briz81

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:27 pm »
Thanks for the insight. I have heard so many conflicting opinions it made my head spin. At this point I think I am just going to do the best I can with the seat I have. I just spoke to a good fabricator who is confident he can get what I have to work. Instead of going round and round with the seat folks and causing ill will, I am going to take a gamble and see what happens. 

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »
I'm 6' 3" around 190 and use a Lajoie Saturday night special (pretty sure it is a 20 degree seat). Granted I have a sedan, but I fit with my head below the roll bars.   I do sit with my legs pretty cramped, but kinda used to it from my go kart days ( once upon a time with the lay down seats). I also have a spacer on the wheel, a 3" spacer, and with the disconnect it is around 5" off the column.  It does help with the knees, and it is also a preference to have the wheel real close to my chest.  My suggestion would be to try the spacer, and sit in there for a bit with the knees up, and see if It is comfortable for you.  Even though I fill it up pretty well, I am still pretty comfy.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:12 am »
Here is a link to one of the posts that has pics of a good sturdy mount that might work for your seat.  Also, there is other good information in here that might help.  If you search around there is probably some info about changing harness mounts also.   

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1658.0

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48:09 pm »
Full containment in a Legends car is useless and not needed.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:06:29 am »
Mike I would have to disagree with you on that one. We ran at a very fast track and any kind of protection that you can get is a bonus. I have seen some low speed crash and they would have helped. They do weigh a little more but this a hobby and anything that might help me go to work on Monday and keep me out of a hospital is well worth the extra weight.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:47 am »
Full containment in a Legends car is useless and not needed.

Wow, one of the most inaccurate statements ever on this site.  I have seen two legend drivers leave the race track in helicopters that would have been fine with a full containment seat.  It is one of the best investments you can make, not only for safety but the added support help reduce fatigue.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Briz81

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »
Well got the seat installed and now have a new question. How much headroom should there be between the top of my helmet ant the roll bar? Right now I have maybe about a half inch to the roll bar padding. I know it's a small car, but I am concerned it might be a little too close.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:58 am »
I think that you need to get more room. I don't like my head closer than a couple of inches from the top of the cage. I'm only 5'8" so I have a lot of room.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Briz81

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:53 am »
I was afraid of that, especially after the seat was drilled and installed. Here is a photo to give everyone an idea. That is with all seat padding and cover removed. With cover I can fit my index finger in between helmet and pad which is about a half inch. With cover and padding forget it, I hit. Ideally, I would like to have at least just cover as it fits me in better, and is way more comfortable.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:27 pm »
With the roll bar padding installed and my helmet on, I have less than an inch of clearance.  I would prefer more room, but that is the best that I could do and still have enough leg room to work the pedals. 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
I am 6 foot 3 with longer legs and I needed a more upright seat like a 10 degree, I have even seen upright sprint seats that are like 8 degrees in cars.  With the seat I have a 10 degree my helmet was maybe 1/2 inch from the padding..Wish there was more room, but thats the "box' USLC gave us.
Dave

Offline Briz81

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
Just gave the guy who installed a call and he said he would adjust it however I wanted. However, he felt I will end up not having any leg room and won't see the front of the car if he does it. Ugh, nothing has been easy with this seat so far.

anything