Author Topic: help on my daughters new legend  (Read 18415 times)

Offline racerdad

help on my daughters new legend
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »
just got this car and it does not have braided fuel line. i am used to the big car can you use an8 fitting? the fitting in the tank looks smaller than that. is there a fuel filter and pump that works good that is threaded for (an) fittings? is there a way to use a (an) fitting up on the carbs? thanks for all your help cody

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: help on my daughters new legend
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:43 pm »
I'm sure theres something out there, but everycar I've seen uses hose clamps on the fuel lines.
I cut the steel back and put the clamp on the rubber on my cars. It's 5/16"
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:47 am »
Here  are some old links with a discussion on the braided fuel line.
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=655.0
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=817.0

5/16" is the proper size. Not really a good way to attach fittings to the carbs. Fuel pumps only run about 3 psi, so it's not a high pressure situation like the big cars.
The hose clamps seem to be the preferred method of attaching the fuel line to the carbs.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:27 am »
I had a friend show me a little trick. He told me to put some smaller rubber tubing on the carburetor nipple before putting on the 5/16 line. Not earth shattering technology but it did make it clamp down much better with no leaks.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:09:42 am »
You can get a "kit" from a dealer, or just order 5/16 fuel line.  You will find it in motorcycle  parts or on Ebay.  I just trimmed back  the S/S an inch or so and then taped it and used the clamp on the rubber hose.

Ebay 10 feet 37 bucks!!

Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »
Jegs and Summit Racing also carry the fuel hose.  I did normal 6 AN hose with 6AN fittings from the fuel cell to the fuel filter I am using, the used the 5/16 hose with clamps for fuel filter to pump then to carbs.  I would prefer to have the heavier AN stainless lines with fittings so things cannot pull apart, but the carb nipple is where you run into a problem.  Suprised that nobody has designed and gotten approval for a replacement fuel inlet for the carbs that could use a 6AN fitting.  Seems like it would be a pretty simple design.     

Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 06:25:17 pm »
I never understood why we had to upgrade to braded fuel line to begin with...
Back in the day I ran a boat fuel tank with rubber fuel line from the tank to the carb  on '74 to'76 Chevy Impalas, in demo derbys, with no issues. Mounted the boat tank where the back seat was taken out of the car, hose to electric fuel pump, across the floorboards and through the forewall to the carb. 38 of the 43 Impalas came out of features with both front and rear bumpers higher than the roofline and no fuel line issues what so ever.
 Then we all had to upgrade to braded fuel line in a Legend because they failed at making a fuel cut off switch work ? We came to the conclusion that there was a lot of boredom going on at USLC and they needed something to bicker about... and make us pay for something we really didn't need, using the excuse it was for our safety so they come out in the end smelling like a hero

----- Gimspster -----

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:59 pm »
I will just say that I took apart a buddies car last weekend that he tried to knock the turn two wall with.  He stuffed the right ft. wheel into the cowl area and bent the tunnel and fire wall brace.  You can see that the fuel line took a hard hit and was damaged to the point IF it was rubber it would have been cut.  So, for 30 to 40 bucks putting S/S fuel line is not a big cost for safety..
Dave

Gimpster

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »
... and I appologize to the group for my vent getting stuck open.
It's a day of the nerve trial variety when a feller has a cop, sherriff and highway patrolman at your door for something you never did.

once again sorry I went off

~ Gimpster ~

Offline racerdad

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:27 am »
the car has been sitting for about 2 or 3 years should i replace the foam in the tank and were can i get it from?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:40:56 am »
It would be best to replace it. The foam does deteriorate after a fashion. Most everyone carries it... Speedway Motors, Jegs, etc...

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

igotmylegend

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:06 am »
Well here is my thing about these cars and the lack of safety features on them. I'm in the proses of rebuilding the whole car and nothing nor do the rules state that you MUST safety wire anything. So for the steering shaft what's to stop where the two come together in the cock pit from coming apart, nothing so i wired it,  now on too the tie rod ends nothing on either of them, so i wired them. Now for the brakes do you all notices on how the master in held into the car, it has threaded ears that you push ON, as i was putting it back on one of the ears was striped,so I drilled thought it on both of them and nutted it and wired it. the nuts and bolts that hold the gas and brake pedals on have nothing so i wired them. Now for the biggest  joke, do you all see what makes the whole thing work, its a 1/4 in stud welded to the brake pedals, whats to stop that stud from busting off of there and then you have no brakes. So i welded a piece of angle iron behind it and wired it, so that way if it does come off it will still have something to stop the car with. These cars are fun to drive but man oh man they need help.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:52 pm »
you sure do like that tie wire i will bet you race kart before the legends. being new to the legends my self is all the things you did legal?

Offline racerdad

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 07:44:58 pm »
also wonted to say thank every one for all the info and have a marry X miss
thanks cody

igotmylegend

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »
your right i did race karts, i sure hope its all legal. the rules state you can drill the bolts for safety wire.