Author Topic: Costs of Racing  (Read 20987 times)

FergusonRacing

Costs of Racing
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »
Hi. I've been a long time kart racer with a good amount of success and am wanting to move up into a Legends car. I was wondering if anyone can give me some general cost numbers for racing a whole season in a Legends car. I know the car new is 12,995. I already have great caster, camber, toe equipment and scales. So what are the remaining costs?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Costs of Racing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:58:05 pm »
First, I wouldn't buy a new car, and save quite a few thousand dollars there. Depends on what kind of racing you are going to be doing as to what the bigger expenses are going to be outside of the typical trailer, truck, and tools. Last year I spent less than $1400 on necessities and ran 24 races on dirt. The year before, I destroyed the car after 15 shows...priceless  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:14:54 am »
 hahaha, ... priceless, thanks for the memories !!
Starts getting spendy when you flip them.
I have 3 chassis behind me myself since 2003.
Hooked a rut up in Underwood ND  while leading sending the left front into a scraper tire then flipping 9 times end for end.... cha-ching, chassis and body with everything else torn up =$$$.
 ..Leading At Dakotah Speedway In Mandan ND, lapping 2 young kids high coming off 2, they tagged each other sending one into me. Steep drop off from the back streatch, I cleared the distance to the guard rail. Flipped along the top of it a heck of a lot of flips. One guard rail post top came in through my door, tore my driving suit and another decided it did not like how the head was positioned on my motor. Chassis, motor, rear end, oil coolers race suit and all the minor hard parts.... cha- ching $$$$$$
 ...Once again, a dusty Dacotah Speedway, like racing in a snow storm it was so dusty. Tough to see past your hood pin. Started inside second row, car ahead of me pushed high in corner 1 after the green, I slipped under him almost taking the lead but he came back down into me pinching me against the guard rail. Came out of that mess somewhere around 23rd. 3 laps later coming strong off corner 4 I was passing the 3rd place car high after making my way through traffic. Unable to see the leaders,they hooked together, and they cut in front of the 3rd place car.  When he reacted he turned right on the brakes. I hopped his right rear and shot up in the air, some 30 plus feet they say.  He rolled under me and I landed on top of him with my rear bumper, launching me up again.  Those 3 cars went off the front straight but the pack never seen them through the dust and kept racing. I was hanging up in the air and landed ontop of another Legend which sent me flipping the remainder of the 3/8 mile tracks front straight. Car was a total loss except the seat and steering wheel. Oh yes, 3 broken ribs and sternum. 2 weeks later I went blind in my right eye. They say everyone has cataracts. My brain trying to fly out through my eye holes accellerated the cataract  like a rocket. So, medical bills and cost of another car.... cha-ching
 $$$$$$
 Then again I had one season where I never tore up one fender too. It is tough to answer the cost of running one of these Legends. I would say dirt racing might cost a little more though.... ya think ? LOL, it all depends on what happens on the track

----- Gimpster -----

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:53:02 am »
Dang gimpster after reading that makes me want to sale my 2 cars............. lol not................wow you sure have had good luck.
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 08:26:13 am »
I would have to disagree on the dirt costing more than asphalt though. 3 of my 4 tires on the car at this momoent look like new and still durometer between 58-60 after 40 shows. RR is 24 shows old and is still a perfect 58. While the dirt may tear up more fiberglass on a consisten basis (depending on who you are racing with), the tire cost alone on asphalt is much higher
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Openwheeler37

• Grant Greenfield Racing
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27:42 am »
Last year I spent $3,267. This encludes fuel to get to the track, race fees, food and ice, two pit passes and so on ... basicly every race related. I also had a decent year as far as not wrecking and when I did wreck, I had spares to use, but in return I am now out of spare parts so this year could be more expensive. I have already spent more than last years budget on the motor and spare parts for 2010.  As far as cost of racing a legends car vs the other forms I have raced (6 years karting & 6 years Open Wheel Formula) if you leave out motor costs, legends car is the way to go, but add in the cost of a motor and motor rebuilds/maintenence and your budget can sky rocket. On thing I do like is that (at least at the tracks I raced at) pay out for legends car races is better than other forms of racing I have been in.
Racing is a matter of spirit not strength

www.greenfieldracing37.piczo.com

You see that?....That just happened!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:28:57 am »
Wow...I thought I was overly detail oriented! If I counted food in my race budget, the team would be bankrupt by my fat @ss!
The $1400 I was referring to was pit passes, fuel, parts, etc. Straight race related. Ya gotta eat whether you're at the track or not I figure.
Would have been less if I wouldnt have bent a 1 race old rear end housing the second feature of the year...damn tractor tires on the infield  >:(
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Openwheeler37

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:42:02 am »
Wow...I thought I was overly detail oriented!

Think thats detailed .... every nut and bolt bought was accounted for ..... If I went to the hardwear store and bought a $0.30 bolt, it's in there! My dad started this practice on day one of my kart racing when I was 10 and we have been doing it ever since. It realy helps when planing a budget and sponsors.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:51:00 am »
Im not that bad, although have gotten more so with bringing the engines in-house. Am logging everything that goes into each one, just so we know what works and what doesnt in this first year of experimentation...Can't wait to see how we fare against your full-on Dano motor!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Openwheeler37

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:01:10 am »
lol .... me either!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:05:51 am »
I bet he paid you to say that! Dano builds great stuff, thats for sure, I just couldn't afford to have him do both motors and the spare.  We'll see how things go  ;)
I'm sure there will be drama at the tech shed when we make our first top 5!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Openwheeler37

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 11:11:10 am »
He sure does, not I just hope i can get my driving to match my power! LOL

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 11:16:37 am »
With Jeff in your corner, you'll be fine. Of course, he could put his VMS Motorsports sponsorship  on his Mod in jeopardy if he helps you too much!  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Openwheeler37

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:17:53 am »
lol .... speakingof that .... whats VMS Motorsports doing for Greenfield Motorsports in 2010!?!  ;D

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 11:20:47 am »
Selling you parts...can't do any more than that with a Dano motor in ya!
That'd be like Mike Tiry sponsoring MotorMasters!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

anything