Author Topic: How much does a bare frame weigh?  (Read 14658 times)

Offline rickmiller48

How much does a bare frame weigh?
« on: January 09, 2010, 09:57:57 am »
  I have a new one coming in soon and I just want to make sure I'm prepared for unloading it from my truck and moving it around. 

Thanks,
Rick

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: How much does a bare frame weigh?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:10:40 am »
I don't know the exact weight but two guys can carry one.

Geoff

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »
Around 200 pounds.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:40:46 pm »
rick you deff need two people we just moved brians today ,but no prob with two people
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:40:04 am »
Thanks everyone,
Rick

Offline Team510Racing.com

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:48:41 am »
Rick did you trade your old frame in or what did you do with the frame.? Just wondering

Thanks Paul
Paul McCollum

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »
I'm doing the trade in thing.  The old one is pretty used up so it really wasn't worth anything as a back up.  It's more crooked than a politician, it's so weak that I can't even keep rivets in any of the sheet metal, and it's been smashed up pretty good.  Hell that hit Drew gave me at Trail Ways was almost enough to do it in.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »
Rick,

All of our chassis's weigh around 170-180lbs but Paul's old chassis weighed in at 200lbs. It is up to you but I would recommend having the chassis put on a jig when you first get it from US Legends/600Racing. I know people who order chassis's from Mike Patrick(Little Race Cars of VA) take the chassis's right to CMG Motorsports to have them gone over and repaired if needed from a front clip to whatever else. I know for a fact that many chassis's come from there all whacked out and people have a hard time getting a handle on them.

If you would like to we could make arrangements to check your chassis on our jig, We just did a front clip on Vern's car and going to shortly have services/prices on our website. We are going to keep most chassis in stock and others will be supplied from CMG Motorsports.

Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:54:40 am »
Todd,

That is good to know that you do frame work. I don't know how far you are from me but I would bet that your closer to me than CMG. I like Mike but it is a haul to get down there and back.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline thunder938

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:03:36 am »
 I know some guys I race with that get a new car and take it apart and send it to Jordan or CMG and have the front clip replaced before it turned a tire on the track.
Dave

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:58:36 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't trust a chassis that comes out of the factory.

Scott, We are all setup to do Front Clips, Steering Rack Plates & Crossmembers, Lollipops, Rear Clips, Rear Horns, and whatever else you would like.  Anything major like stress relieving a chassis I would recommend taking it to CMG Motorsports. We have been dealing with CMG since our start in Legends and he has been helping me out in my start with chassis repairs as well. Anything that I do would be supplied from CMG so there would be shipping charges along with the price of the parts plus labor. I have been welding for many years now in all forms from Mig, Tig, Stick, Brazing, etc. I have also learned a lot from my years working for the International Race of Champions and Penske Racing a few years back. My goals are to making the quality of work from CMG Motorsports available up here because we all know the haul is far. That is why all front and rear clips among other parts will be ordered from CMG

We will soon have a complete price list and more on our website.

Todd McCollum

Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 07:12:22 am »
    I appreciate the info Todd.  This year I'm just going to true up the frame myself (and possibly with the help of my cousin) due to time and money constraints.  I do plan to take it to someone every year in the off season though so it's good to know that you guys do that.  Also, if we have any trouble getting anything level and square, I may be getting in touch with you guys.  Now that I think about it, maybe I should make sure it's crooked since that's what I'm used to.  My current frame is 1/2" high on the right rear and the front clip is off to the right by more than that, plus one of my front lower control arms is forward compared to the other one.

Thanks,
Rick

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:21:46 am »
Rick,

It sounds like you got one of those "trick" cheated up frames........................LOL. I had one of those same ones a couple of years ago. Look forward to racing with you guys this year.

Scott # 77
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

racetec

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »
Just  picked up my sedan chassis from the powdercoater. It weighs the same as when we first stripped it down and brought it to him.   275 pounds.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »
275lbs seems a little heavy for a bare chassis. Is your chassis an older 4 bar or a newer 4 bar? I am not 100% sure but I did hear something about they were using a heavier tubing at one point so there are some chassis's that are heavy compared to most of them.

Rick, with your old chassis do you know if it was ever wrecked before you bought it? If it wasn't the chassis could of just tweaked from being used or I have heard of some people actually tweaking their chassis's on purpose to help them with weight transfer. With asphalt racing I would definitely say that you need your chassis perfectly flat and square but on dirt if the chassis is tweaked no more than 3/16" or 1/4" i wouldn't worry to much about it because your always bouncing around anyways.

If you have any questions just give us a shout.

We are looking forward to this season with everyone, The only track you will not see us at is SSP and Central Pa Speedway. The one race at Central is just to far of a haul for us to attend and we came to the conclusion that the problems we were having last year were not because of Don, it was the promoter of SSP so we do not want to support SSP in 2010 but we will support Paul Weisel of Klascar and Don with Central Pa at the rest of his tracks. We will not be able to attend all the races but right now we are planning to attend races at Linda's Speedway, Bridgeport Speedway, Lincoln Speedway, Path Valley, and Trailways.

Scott if you could get a race on a Saturday night at the track you are working with we could attend that but a Friday night would be impossible for us driving down Rt 95 going through Philly.

Maybe we will see some of you at MotorSports 2010 next weekend!

Take care,
Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

anything