Author Topic: Leg, head room  (Read 10011 times)

lok

Leg, head room
« on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:57 am »
I just purchased 1937 Ford sedan. I purchase the car for my son. He is approxiamatly 6' tall. The steering wheel hits his right leg when he moves his leg from the gas to break. His helmet is also very close to upper roll cage. Is there a 12" steering wheel on the market that we can purchase? Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.
Does anyone know if this steering wheel will fit:  http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=252,48,363_533&action=product

-->Note: Thanks for all the advice on the motors!!

Thanks,

Lon 

Offline DARK AGE 53

Re: Leg, head room
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 08:59:41 am »
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

lok

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 01:37:30 pm »
Thanks for the link to the steering wheel.
I see that this is a flat design, compared to a tapered design.
I wonder if this will serve the purpose or not.  Have you ran into  this problem, or installed this 12" steering wheel before? Are spacers allowed to move the steering wheel out to the same distance as the tapered?

Thanks in advance,

Lon

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:54:27 pm »
Lon,

My sons car has the stock steering wheel, he's also 6' with no problems. As for spacers your best bet would be to call Inex about this.

A couple of thoughts before you go out and buy another steering wheel, can the heim on the steering shaft be raised, what about lowering the front of the racing seat?

Al

lok

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 06:14:55 pm »
Thanks DARK AGE 53  for your input. Yes, I lowered the seat as much as possible and also raised the steering wheel as much as possible. I even removed the bottom lock nut on the eye bracket to allow the wheel to move up as much as possible. I may try to remove the padding in the bottom of the seat, to allow some room.

Thanks,

Lon

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 06:22:41 pm »
Sounds like you've done about everything I can think of except one thing, I need to go out to the work shop and take a look at my sons car first...I'll be back.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 06:40:55 pm »
Not sure if  Inex would allow it but what about raising the steering shaft heim bracket, only a certerfied welder should perform this. Another thought, would a different length upper steering shaft be of any help?

lok

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 06:56:26 pm »
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. I will need to check with INEX though. I am going to first try the smaller steering wheel and remove the foam from the bottom of the seat. I will let you know how I make out. In the interim, if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Lon

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 11:27:29 am »
I have a 34 coupe and I am over 6 feet tall. I use a 10 degree lay back seat and a 15 inch wheel with no problems.  I personally  would not go back to a 12" wheel because the bigger wheel slows down the driver input and helps with control.  Hope this helps.

Geoff

lok

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:15:40 am »
Thanks for everyones advice!! I am new to the Legends racing scene.  I read this forum daily and appreciate all the shared information and advice.
This is how I resolved our leg, head room issue. I added a 2" steering wheel extension, here is the link from where I purchased it, in case anyone is interested: http://allstarperformance.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/4877/52316
I also rotated my seat counter clockwise. Now we have plenty of room!!

Thanks again,

Lon

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 02:31:06 am »
glad to hear you got the problem resolved.

anything