Author Topic: Mounting the Borla Muffler  (Read 9380 times)

FFmedic

Mounting the Borla Muffler
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:36:08 pm »
I was mounting my muffler today and noticed that it hits the fender when I go to put the fender on.  anyone else have this problem??  Do you have to cut a hole in the fender???  I really don't wanna cut the header pipes, but that would be another option.  Its on a '37 chevy sedan.

Joe

Offline bback58

Re: Mounting the Borla Muffler
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »
Hey Joe,

What part of the muffler is hitting?  Does the mounting tabs match up or are they different?  I thought my muffler looked longer than the collector, but they were the same size and I didn't have any issue with mine.  It fit in perfectly.   The shape of my fender doesn't leave a lot of clearance.
Brian B

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:04:34 pm »
With the 34 ford coupe, I had to cut a hole where the hump is that is supposed to clear the muffler
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

FFmedic

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:39:24 pm »
My muffler is stainless steel with one mounting tab.  My collector had springs holding it on but I'll need to make a mounting tab for the muffler to bolt to.  the part that hits is the tip then bends down.

Joe

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:47:06 pm »
Just wondering ??? Is the muffler on all the way? I just put a brand new exhaust on my 37 chevy and it went right on no problem

Brett

FFmedic

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:32:54 pm »
yeah its on all the way to the tabs that hold the springs for the collector.  Could there be 2 different types of headers??  The tip of the muffler is about  less then an inch away from the running board aluminum. 

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:09:31 pm »
I had the same problem on my 34. I loosened the nuts on the header at the head a little then stepped on the muffler and forced it down. Then I tightened the nuts back up. This gave me about 3/4" of clearence.

Geoff

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28:42 pm »
It depends if you replaced the whole system ( like I did ) with the Borla system. But I still think the pipes are the same length. And bent the same way. Maybe you will have to bend it a little ,but maybe if you loosen the pipes at the head and just wiggle the muffler a little back and forth you might be able to find a happy medium with clearance

Brett

FFmedic

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »
I'll have to try that. Thanks guys.

Joe ;)

Offline bback58

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 10:24:14 pm »
Can y0u break off the spring mount and slide the muffler on a little more?  Both the header and muffler on mine had the tabs and matched up great.  It is funny yours has a different mount than mine did. (but I do like the spring idea better than the tabs)
Brian B

FFmedic

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 10:58:53 pm »
Yeah no kidding.  Funny that they can be so different.  Plus I gotta make a mount to bolt the header to muffler.  Just one of the joys of rule changes.  I think I'm gonna masage it a bit and try to mount the fender.  Maybe try taking off the running board then mount the fender then the aluminum.

Joe

anything