Author Topic: 1200 or 1250 sealed??  (Read 13545 times)

lok

1200 or 1250 sealed??
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:05:01 am »
I am new to Legend car racing. I am currently looking to purchase a Legends car. I would like some opinions on the preferred motor. Either a 1200 unsealed or a 1250 sealed. Which motor has more horsepower. Which Legends cars are winning races.....1200 unsealed or 1250 sealed?

Thanks in advance,

Lon

Offline hundo24

Re: 1200 or 1250 sealed??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:13:12 am »
Well I did my research and I went with a used car and a sealed motor that had only 2 races on it.I'm happy with performance, I just need to get the car dialed in for me and get use to driving a car that has street tires and brakes that don't stop as well as I would like. I came from racing a shifter kart that had lots of brakes and had a lot of tire. I think whats more important is that wheather it be sealed or not is the condition of the motor and a good driver will make up the difference in HP and every motor will be slightly different. If I had the money and was doing it over I would buy a new car and a sealed motor and have it done exactly how I want it. The problem for me was I didn't know anyone in Legends racing so I just had to go by what I felt was right. You can email me and I can tell you what I have found in the 6 months that I wish someone would have shared with me :-)

Don
hundo24@yahoo.com

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:07:01 pm »
Around here, both sealed and unsealed engines win races.  A brand new, never touched, sealed engine will not be as strong for as long as that same engine will be after it has been rebuilt and sleeved.

To me, the questions  you need to ask yourself is if it will be better for your racing program to be able to build/rebuild your engine yourself, or take your engine to a builder you know and trust (unsealed), or if it works better for you and you feel better about sending your sealed engine back to 600 racing to be rebuilt and resealed since after the end of this season, all sealed engines will be built in-house by 600.

I have no idea what the throughput will be at 600 racing, but, being in the racing parts manufacturing business, I know for certain that your wait time will be greater at certain times of the year than others.  Everybody will want to have their engines rebuilt in the off-season, and if you are not first in line, then you will have to get in line.  This first year will likely be a busy time for the folks at 600, while they get acclimated to the task.   But, at the same time, previous sealed builders will be looking for more work to do, so the unsealed engine will likely become part of the trough from which they get fed.

As far as HP is concerned, I know people who's opinion I trust that tell me you can get more from the 1200.  But the question reall should be, can you get that extra HP to the ground.  If you race on a 1/4 mile or less flat or semi-banked track, then I would have to say your concern is much better directed at tires, setup, and driver.  If yo are on a 1/4 mile high banked, or a 3/8 mile semi-banked track, then HP really starts to seperate the field.

As far as I know, the only thing that differentiates a 1250 from a 1200 is cylinder bore diameter.  And you can use oversized pistons in a 1200.  I have a sealed 1250 now.  I'm building a 1200 to replace it.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 01:43:14 pm »
hey admin,

when you get ready to replace the sealed engine, let me know. I want to buy a used 1250, so I might be interested if you want to sell it.

I prefer the 1250 for dependibility reasons. The Engine is simply MUCH less abused then a 1200. Even the best 1200 has probably 10000 miles on it.

A 1250 is, and always has been, a racing engine. The 1250's we run were never in a street bike. They come from Yamaha, directly to 600 racing.

That said, the 1200 can be opened up and if you are on a tight budget (like most of us) you can simply hone the cylinders and install new rings, and get a lot of power back, so you can save the full rebuild for maybe every 2 years instead of every year and save a lot of money.

JMO,
Brad
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:29:28 pm »
 I don't think it will matter much if sealed or unsealed. It will be a question of how you get the power to the ground. What ever you end up buying; work on your chassis set up and driving style. Be smooth, and get the car to your liking as far as feel.
 Good Luck!
 Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:28 pm »
I appreciate the offer Brad, but I'm going to try to hang on to the 1250 as a back up,  so if something happens, either mechanically or politically, I'm not scrambling  for another engine.