Author Topic: Banked oval  (Read 23753 times)

Offline free2race

Re: Banked oval
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:53:08 pm »
I checked the oil and it's good. It didn't "puke" in the catch can. A possible gear change is coming.

Offline free2race

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 12:21:11 am »
Well, we just got finished changing out the motor on the bando. Checked compression,plugs and wires. Then we checked the clutch and it was fried. My driver said it felt like it was losing power. Probably because the clutch was slipping. New body will be finished tomorrow.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 02:41:01 am »
Well, we just got finished changing out the motor on the bando. Checked compression,plugs and wires. Then we checked the clutch and it was fried. My driver said it felt like it was losing power. Probably because the clutch was slipping. New body will be finished tomorrow.

I have heard that cluthes can be a problem. I do not know what brand of clutch 600 Racing sells, or is INEX legal. Rules do not specify the brand, just the catch all phrase "as delivered by 600 Racing". So, the best I can determine, maybe  a change in springs would help. Keep the drum clean. And, sand or scuff the the shoes as necessary.

Can't wait to see some pics of the car with the new body!  :)

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 06:29:24 pm »
we used the brown springs on both oval and flat track with great results.  always check the shoes for thickness and cracks right by the edge of the bracket.   after  3 races  clean and check

Offline free2race

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 10:33:11 pm »
These bodies on these cars are a pain in the butt to install. If the doors don't fit then the tail section doesn't fit then the bumper cover doesn't fit. One thing leads to another. The new motor is in and fired off. I guess these bodies fit the newer cars like a glove.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »
Steve is right these west coast Bando guys are a hard bunch to get going!  Don't give up on us just yet though.  There are a whole lot mre cars back east and you guys had a head start on us!

I hope some of the following info might help:

Bandos just look different than karts. The same rules seem to apply. The biggest difference is you can adjust cross weight with spring adjusters on the shocks. there is some fiddling with spring rates but that is fine tuning after the driver gets very comfortable and able to provide accurate feedback.

Most folks start with a 250/150 spring and 47-49% cross weight, as much front weight as you can get.  Some of our guys go to lighter springs after the driver gets comfortable.

Rear Stagger between 0 and 3/4" Cut tires seem to last longer and offer some grip advantage. Tires seem to take some running in to be good. Be patient and thourough when breaking in a new or rebuilt motor.

Gear it where it hits the rev-limiter at the end of the straight and then back off on the axle 1 tooth......repeat as necessary.

For a road course we used a 125, 150, or 175 spring (each side). As the driver got better we increased the spring rate. Castor +3 on each sied and camber about -2 on each side. We did lots of work on the brakes. The biggest issue was fluid boiling. We settled on Wilwood 570 fluid and had no further problems.

PM me, Send me a PM, E-mail me, or call me if I can help in any way.

Ed
racerigs@earthlink.net
928-486-7740
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 08:28:02 pm »
The Clutches are made by Noram and also used in Mini Cup Cars.  Parts are available from 600 racing or http://www.apskarting.com/

Color      Engagement Speeds
Brown               2200
Red                    2500
White                2800
Blue                   3100
Purple              3400
Green               3700
Plain                 4000

Most use the red or brown spring.  the clutches come with the red spring.  Some I know have expermented with white or blue but that is getting very specialized.  I don't think I would consider the others.

Be sure to service the clutch at least every couple of races.  The rulebook requires a minimum shoe thickness of .180" but they will usually crack before that.  If any measure less than <.190" or are cracked, replace all three as a set. Use a "flapper" type sanding wheel to de-glaze the clutch drum and clean up the shoes with some  sanding or light grinding.  If the fibre washer is damaged or missing install a new one.  This will help keep excess grease off the shoes/durm.  Lightly grease the bearing when assembling the clutch.

For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline free2race

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 12:12:34 am »
The holes in the drum,did it come that way? Because that would be a good way to release heat form these things. Anyone got a idea on a possible gear selection. On a 3/8 12degree concrete track?

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 01:08:20 pm »
Sent you a PM

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 03:12:51 pm »
Thanks for that info Ed!
I was guessing that it was a Noram clutch, but was not 100% sure.
Lots of places to buy parts from.

This is turning in to a very informative thread!!!
My Thanks to everyone for their input!

Steve

Offline free2race

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »
I think this post has or is going to help everyone looking for help with these cars. If you have anything that would help, please post it. Then the racing up front will look awesome,instead of everyone else finishing a lap down.

Offline free2race

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:09 pm »
I refuse to let this post die. Let's have some more input on the subject.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 12:35:57 am »
I'm still here with you!  ;)
It is really hard to get information for the Bando cars.
The most info I have found so far is posted here on legendsracer. There is some usable info on some of the go kart sites. Bob's is one of my favorites: http://karting.4cycle.com/
BandoStuff has most of what is posted here, as he is a member here on legendsracer. http://bandostuff.suddenlaunch3.com/
I have some set up info from a few members. I was asked not to post it, but would be happy to share. Tom Q. listed a pretty good starting point for anyone new to Bando cars.
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=46.15
The engine manual download is good also.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf/illustrated_parts_list/100/MS0670.pdf

That's a pretty good amount of information as far as Bandos go. What would be nice is for people to post tips and tricks they have learned. The clutch cleaning tips and pics that Ed posted will likely help a lot of new folks. This one on chain lube is good too. http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=109.0
That is the kind of info that more people need, and want to know. Post anything you find relevant.  I'm sure there is someone that would appreciate the info. I know I would! It helps me to understand the Bando cars a little better.

Steve

Offline free2race

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 09:35:57 am »
Mr. Steve, I'm also all over 4cycle. We have been racing karts for 5 years in Mississippi. The kart knowledge has helped alot. But when you add springs to the rearend it throws me a curve. We plan on going over to Monroe this weekend. New everything but the chassis. I finally got the body on and the numbers will be on tonite. I'll get Mitchel to post some pics tonite. LET'S KEEP IT GOING

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 11:51:57 pm »
i know this is old but caster and camber help. ask tristan!
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

anything