Author Topic: More On SS Line  (Read 33354 times)

Offline JGRacing

More On SS Line
« on: January 23, 2009, 12:54:07 pm »
Are there any specifics on the fuel line beyond just switching to braided hose? 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Legends Rule Book
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »
I'm waiting for an update on that from Jeremy. I'll post it when I get it.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:15:11 pm »
I would not think so.  All of the new cars rolling out now have Steel fuel line and they are using hose clamps on them.  I picked up their kit while I was there and it is jsut 3 peices of hose already cut to length. 

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:37:46 pm »
Yep, it just states braided stainless hose nothing else.  I doubt you will see anything come about in that respect.  They can do all they want but the fitting on the carb is the weak link and they arent going to make everyone change their carbs.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:38:41 pm »
Use the 5/16" braided fuel line. I have been bought several 25fts roll so that I could do a bunch of cars. I got it from Summit for 60.00 a roll.
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:02 pm »
An error has been found in the new rule book.

On page 40; Rule #1 "HELMET"

Only FULL FACE  SA-2000 or newerhelmets are allowed!

The last line; " a full-face helmet is highly recommended." was not deleted and should be.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 02:50:25 pm »
I have my 10 feet of braided fuel line in from Jegs and wanted to make sure that nothing changed before I start installing it.  Jegs and Summit both have 10 foot sections of the 5/16 hose for $25. 

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »
I talk with scott at 600 if you want you can run hard line steel all the way and connect to carb with short peice of hose same in the back ,Im going to try it, when I come outta tunnal going to use brass 90 then follow firewall and come up under carbs this wat line is outta harms way ,I thought with ss braide line it hanging is still unsafe ? what would happen if you took a hit where would it brake ????? yes at carb the banjo t is only cast alum so there goes gas everywhere, thats why Im tring hard line and come up from under neith . will see   give me feedback what you guys think ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:31:28 pm »
It sounds like a good  alternative to the braided line. Either way, there will still be short runs of rubber line for the fuel pump and carb (fuel filter for some).
If the braided line is supported properly, it will not "hang". Have you given any thought to a little extra protection where you plan to run it through the driveshaft tunnel? I've seen people run their line through a piece of tubing for extra protection.
Jeff and Jeremy have the new rule book and will post the rule for us.

Steve

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »
You dont need any short runs of rubber line with the 5/16" ss line.  that stuff is designed for you to clamp right on the ss sheathing which will help keep it in place.  If you are using -6 Aeroquip style hose then you may have to do the short piece of rubber hose trick because that hose is constructed differently. 
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 03:43:44 pm »
I bought some of that white nylon water line from home depot thats used for water line it comes in 6 ft sections for a couple bucks I run the line throught it then flare what has to be flared with fittings then slide it throught the 1 frame tub.when Im done will try to post pics
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:50:48 pm »
Hey Steve.  The fuel line on these cars runs inside the 1 inch frame that makes the tunnel so it is already protected that way.  What I did as an extra is take a peice of the old rubber fuel line, cut a slit in it and attach it to the ends of that tube so it does not rub.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »
Vern,

OK. I get what your doing.

Jeff,

I think that there are quite a few of us that have, or plan to use, the AN -6.
Point understood on the 5/16" line.

RB,

Thanks!

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:59 pm »
No offense Vern, but what the hell are you doing?

The rule change says ..."Steel Braided fuel line will be mandatory for all Legends Cars & Thunder Cars (all new Legends Cars & Thunder Cup Cars have been delivered with steel braided line as of 7/1/08). "

It doesnt matter what Scott or anyone else says. If it says "steel braided" in the tech manual, the tech inspectors are going to look for "steel braided"...telling them someone told you different , even if you talked to Ken Ragan, ain't gonna change the fact that you won't be racing until your car passes tech with "Steel braided" fuel line.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »
ok understnad I thought talking with scott and I have the letter where he said it would be find would cover it ? looks like im wroung Ha ? its dosnt bother me money wise buying ss braided line , it just dosnt make sence to me after the fire that started this ,they changed the rules ,which is good, but it really dosnt make it any safer, the week point is the carb now,where that banjo t is its cast alum which when a car takes a hit or something now you have the strong ss braided line ,the next thing that t brakes or hose clamps come off and we have gas everywhere . thats why with hard line if it works it will be pertected and be under the carb with a small hose connection, thats what I was thinking and ask scott at 600 ?
Vernon Houseman #20