Author Topic: Racing in Florida  (Read 9340 times)

Offline JGRacing

Racing in Florida
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:34:01 pm »
Not sure if anyone on here has children under 18 racing in Florida, but this might be a problem with future events.  Not sure what the Florida Supreme Court is thinking.   

http://www.news-press.com/article/20081212/NEWS01/812120363/1002

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Racing in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:17:40 pm »
I have some serious issues with that train of thought.
I'm going to hold my tongue for now, because I haven't had time to research it.
Also, we "ALL"  have our own opinions. I don't want to see this turn into a political debate.
The ruling seems a bit out of sorts in my opinion.

Without getting to political....
What Do you think?

Interesting topic!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:35 pm »
Just wanted to put that up there for anyone who has a kid racing in Florida so they know what is going on.  I think the court is going to need to clarify this pretty quickly, otherwise any activity with a disclaimer for a minor will see some huge increases in their insurance rates.  Problem is that it is pretty difficult to undo a bad court decision at the state Supreme Court level.  I do not think that this would be something the U.S. Supreme Court would get involved with, so the Florida legislature will have to get creative.     

Offline bback58

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »
Pretty sad.  But then again, it really doesn't matter to me since it's been a long time since I had to have my folks sign for me (ha ha).   :'(
Brian B

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:25:16 pm »
It can be looked at both ways...yes, a child is a parents responsibility and they must always sign for them in everything they do until the age of majority, but what about parental negligence?...It can't always be everybody elses fault. Somewhere, sometime down the line, blame needs to be placed on the offending party, not just who's got the most $$. There was a kart wreck a few years ago here where the kid had a helmet  that was WAY too big cuz the parents didnt want to have to keep buying new ones while he was growing and he flipped, helmet came sailing off and his head was scrambled pretty well. Luckily he has recovered to the best of my knowledge, but to some point, the nanny state we are living in is being created by both sides of the equation, in my opinion.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything