Author Topic: Remote Battery Posts Connection  (Read 22750 times)

Offline knuclebuster

Remote Battery Posts Connection
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:24:27 am »
Hey guys, Ive got another one for you.
  I am installing a battery cut off switch, using the ground to break the circuit.  After reading all the post about the cutoff switch, which I truly appreciate the imput, I have deciced to go ahead an install remote batter charging/jumper posts while Im in there.  I realized last night when I place my fire suppression bottle behind the fuel cell that its going to be a real pain to get to the battery once the body is put back on.

My plan is to mount the posts and cutoff switch on the flat panel behind the seat(37 sedan) on the left side.  My question is, how do you run the negitive cable to the cutoff switch and the external ground post.  Logic tells me that I would not run a cable up from the negitive battery post through the switch then over to the remote battery post.  If this was done, then all charging current would travel through the switch back to the battery.  However, if I run one cable straight up off the battery negative post and attach to the remote jumper post and one cable from the negative battery post to the cutoff switch and then to the frame, isnt there the chance that the battery will ground to the metal or the mounting surface where the remote jumper post is located.  If this happens, there will be no point in having the battery cutoff switch.  My thinking is that I just have to make sure that the remote negitive post does not ground by using some plastic or rubber washers.

Is there a better method of wiring in a battery cutoff switch and remote jump/charging posts?  I hope I havnt made this sound to confusing!

KB

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Remote Batter Posts Connection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:59:00 am »
Here is a note from Knuclebuster, and some pics of his cut off switch and remote charging post install.

I went with cutting off the positive side of the battery.  The two black cables are going from battery to the remote battery posts.   I bought the cable and ends and made up the cables to fit my install.   I marked the hot side with some red tape.  I just used regular 4 gauge battery cables that I bought made up at Advanced Auto parts to make up the cables for the battery cutoff.  This made it much easier.  They had several different lengths to choose from.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:12:05 am »
More

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:13:34 am »
More

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 04:14:19 am »
Last one

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 04:16:25 am »
Nice Job KB!

The system now cuts off power to everything?

Thanks for the pics!

Steve

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 08:48:58 am »
Hey Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to resize and post the pictures for everyone and myself!

I did not put a 12 volt tester on anything to check if everything was dead.  I cant see how anything could be hot behind the battery with the switch in the off position, which breaks the circuit from the battery to the solinoid and wiring harness.  I do know that the starter will not engage, nor does the gear indicator show what gear the transmission is in when the cutoff switch is in the off position. I made the assumption right or wrong that the switch would kill everything.   I'll break out the tester this afternoon and do a double check.  I suppose your mostly concerned with the fuel pump?

KB

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 09:01:57 am »
one thing to think about is the location of the cut off, I know that when I had a prostreet car that i forgot ...alot to turn it on.  I would get in and .....no power.  I would put the cut off somewhere you and flip while in the car.  I know that I would get in and strap in and ..then no power..that sux

just something to think about
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 10:27:56 am »
If the shutoff is on the positive side, won't the alternator still be generating power if the motor is turning?  In my modified, I had the 4 post shutoff so that I could run the alternator leads through it also. 

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:35 am »
Good point.  You wont kill the engine by turning the kill switch then, until it starves because the fuel pump is shut off...  depending where the ful pump ties in...

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 02:06:42 pm »
Not an electrician, but won't there be the same problem with the kill switch on the negative side.  I have not traced the wiring, but does the alternator go back to the battery or directly to the dash?  In most cases the engine would probably have stalled out when a safety worker makes it to the car, but if it pops into neutral or the driveshaft is gone, the engine could still be running and turning the alternator. 

Offline gramps05

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:18 pm »
If the car is wired correctly it will continue to run when the Master is turned off.

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:00:03 pm »
My car will run for about 3 seconds after I turn the cutoff switch off, with the ignition switch in the on location.  I'm guessing that at the point the engine dies, it has starved of fuel.  During the three seconds that it is running the gear indicator is still showing N, so it is still getting power to the dash.  I believe that it is getting power from the alternator until the engine dies and then the N fades out.  At that point there is no longer voltage at the dash.  So if the car is running and the cutoff switch is turned off, there is voltage until the engine is starved of fuel due to no fuel pressure.  The current coming from the alternator is not getting back to the fuel pump in my opinion.  Its kinda hard to check this by yourself.  Im going to get a buddy over to work the cutoff switch while I take some readings with a tester.  Ill post my findings.

KB

Offline thunder938

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:18:07 pm »
just use a test light to see if there is power at the pump with the master switch off
Dave

Offline gramps05

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 07:33:41 am »
The alternator output is connected to the on side of the Master Power switch on the dash which is also connected to the fuel pump, so if the engine is running and the Battery Cutoff switch is turned to the off position the motor will continue to run if the car is wired correctly.