Author Topic: Spooling a gear?  (Read 9220 times)

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
Spooling a gear?
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »
Has anyone spooled a rearend gear?  Just wondering whats all involved.

www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Spooling a gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »
Just weld it Jeff, from what I've heard, the spools are not the most durable, but I have no experience with that, mine are all welded
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:02:26 pm »
Yeah I saw that in some of the posts I was looking at.  I have a spooled 3.73 that I used last year at all of the tracks but I was looking at some different gear combos.  I have about 5 sets of gears that are welded right now and will probably just use those and not worry about the spool.  I cant imagine that their is a significant difference between the spool and the welded gears since the spool weight has to be 25lbs.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:03:58 pm »
This is what Randy had to say about spools in the welding rear end gears thread.

I weld all of my gears for personal use and those I sell with a MIG. I use an anti-splatter spray throughtout the interior of the housing to prevent slag from sticking to the gears or bearings. I weld the eight corners of the spider gears, along with the side gear that is exposed to the side of the carrier. Make sure that you attach your ground lead directly to the ring gear. If you attach it anywhere else, you are runing the circuit through the bearing(s) which will ruin them. You can by the anti-splatter spray at a welding shop; the can I have is made by Randor and is product #64000100.

And finally, the spool is not the way to go. If you gave me a free lifetime supply of them, I would only use them for paperweights. I have personally had three spools strip, and have had many customers have the same problem. The spools are not heat treated as well as the Toyota spider gears, and the spool gets really sloppy. If you have a spool, check the slop in the splines from side to side, when they are new they are tight. If your spool has alot of play in wheel travel from side to side, it might be time to get another one.

Randy - RPM

I have heard similar claims on the dwarf car boards.

fwiw,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 02:26:28 pm »
Steve, I had read that post after i posted my original.  I think I will just stick with the welded gears.  I did notice that my spooled gear has more spline slop than my welded gears.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:24 pm »
Jeff,

If you where NOT running dirt it might pay off but we have so much wheel spin that we really don't need the HP that a spool will give you. Maybe you don't have wheel spin after the way you went by me at Nats.......................... :o

Scott #77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

anything