Author Topic: Gauges  (Read 23149 times)

FFmedic

Re: Gauges
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
Only gauges I have are the gear indicator..... which I only look at on restarts.  And a tach, which is kinda useful.... see my car came with a Stewart Warner Tach with..... shift light.   I set the shift light a couple hundred RPMs below the rev limiter, when the light comes on you know you are just about at the max.  Plus I also have a low Oil pressure light which I think is a must.

Just my 2 cents

Joe
ND legends 93

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 02:26:33 pm »
I run a 10k recall tach, oil pressure, and oil temp, along with the oil pressure warning light. Will probably stay with the same set-up. What do you need a fuel pressure guage for? According to 600, the fuel pumps are 2-3psi...so if theres that much variation...if the car ain't running, theres no fuel pressure.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:16 pm »
Autometer makes a nice 14000 rpm memory tach. It is in their motorcycle racing section. Here is the link with part number http://procycle.autometer.com/CatalogGaugeDetail.aspx?gid=141 . Hope this helps.

Geoff

Offline reitter28

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 04:58:09 pm »
i have an autometer 14 hundred tach in my car with a recall, and stewart warner oil temp, and oil pressure guages with a red low oil light and a green neautral light. the oil temp guage deffinantly will scare you but i like to keep track of what im running to see if i could use more fans to keep it cool during the race. the oil pressure guage is a must in my opinion, not so much the guage as the light, however when ur in the turns the red light will come on for a minute as the force of the turn will throw the oil away from the sensor. but then again sometimes youll have oil pressure but the light will be on, but im pretty sure thats a problem with my wires. i myself could do without a tach because i never look at it to shift, youll end up jus shifting by the sound of the engine.
lancehooper.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 09:17:26 pm »
You need to add oil! If you are seeing that red light then you have NO oil left in the bottom of the motor and that is triping that red light. I did the same thing my first year and a big motor builder told me to add oil or pay him later.

Scott # 77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline reitter28

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:37 pm »
well then why would i have oil pressure? im pretty sure theres a short in the wire or its lose or something...cause i can turn the car off and start it back up and the light is off
lancehooper.com

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 10:00:33 pm »
Mine would flash in the middle of the corner and I had oil pressure also. I'm not a motor builder so I just did what he told me and it never did it again. I was only a half a quart low to make it do that.  Yes, I can hear the jokes now about half a quart low.......Ha Ha Ha.

Scott #77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline reitter28

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 10:23:55 pm »
i can go out on a fresh oil change...and still have the light come on in the turns at one of the tracks we race at...lorain county speedway has some nice banking and is a crazy fast track. come in check the oil level through the glass in the bottom of the engine and everything would b right on target, go out for another prac and the light comes on again in the turns. im 99% sure its jus the centrifigal force throwin the oil away from the sensor causing it to go on in the turns.
lancehooper.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 10:52:12 pm »
Thats exactly what it is. My light came on at every turn. There are a couple people who make baffles for that exact problem...drop the pan, replace the gasket with this baffle, and it keeps the oil from sloshing to the right side. Ran all year last year and never saw the light again. I'll try and find the paperwork from where I bought it, but it was last winter, so I probably gave it to my accountant as a tax write off!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 09:12:54 am »
If you motor runs and has oil psi, the only way it will loose psi is if a line come off…does not happen much and a ROD coming out of it, crank, or cam breaking.  If one of these happen you will not need the gauge to tell you there is a problem….,but the wife not happy gauge goes off the chart…LOL
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 09:18:02 am »
The Dwarf guys have been modifying the pans for years.
The idea of putting baffles in the pan to keep oil in the proper places is a good one.
I don't know of any rules against it in Legends. I hope that 600 racing/ INEX will come around to the idea.

;)

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 09:33:53 am »
600 racing rule book...

"The stock oil pan may not be altered, modified or include any additions to alter the path of the oil"

I dont think any one checks but a baffle would be "..additions to alter the path.."
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 09:37:52 am »
Thanks Dave!
Sorry! I was not aware,
Corrected.  ;)

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 09:53:38 am »
If they allowed baffling "insert national engine builder here" would have a custom oil pan for $500 that is a must have if you want your engine to live.  As my engine builder says "put tape over that light".  My light comes on in the corners but I never loose oil pressure so its good to go.  Thats an oil level light that is meant for use in a motorcycle, dont pay to much attention to it.  If its on when you are just sitting still or driving slowly I would be concerned.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 10:51:29 am »
There is no modification to the pan, and the path of the oil is not altered with the baffle. it is simply a replacement oil pan gasket of a different design, thus is legal
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

anything