Author Topic: Gauges  (Read 23556 times)

Offline knuclebuster

Gauges
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:50 pm »
I'm looking for opinions on Tachometers, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges.  I would like to find an economical brand that could supply all three.  It is my understanding that I need  an 11k tack with memory.  Based on my research, I have not found that many that are in dash 11k, with memory.  I realize that 600 offers these gauges, but just exploring my options.  Also, if I purchase oil temp and pressure gauges, outside of 600, do you think they are set up for hooking up to the yamaha engine with out buying additional equiptment such as adapters or wiring.  I guess what I'm asking is; Are the automotive (racing, such as Autometer) gauges adaptable to these legends cars out of the box?'.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Guages
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:34:02 pm »
Hi KB,

Yes, automotive gauges can be used. For the gauges, you may need to get the proper fittings and/or sending units. Tach can be mounted wherever you would like. If you buy a tach not specific for the Yamaha motorcycle engine, you will need to do a little wiring change. Most manufacturers offer tips for different uses on their web sites. If in doubt, a quick phone call will usually get you hooked up. An email to Jeff Barker (Barker Racing Electronics)  http://www.barkerracing.com/#  is another option.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »
I will make you a deal on a dash with a recall tack and a hole for a temp gauge (no temp gauge)  Tack works and recalls fine, I am putting in a new dash with only a gear  Indicator...

Dave

Offline bback58

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:39:10 pm »
When I bought my car a couple of people told me not to bother with gauges - and I wish I would have listened and saved me some money.    If you will be shifting gears, the tach is a waste.  I have an oil pressure gauge - not necessary in my opinion.  I do like my temp gauge, but only as an informational kind of thing.  I figure I wouldn't be pulling in just because the car was running hot.  The one gauge I bought that I definitely think is worth it is my gear indicator, but even this is not really necessary.   When you are out racing you really won't be looking at the gauges anyway.

If you look around, I figure most of the cars would be like the ones around here - pretty bare dashboards.
Brian B

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:45:33 pm »
Very true. Most are pretty sparse!
You won't have a lot of time to be looking at gauges.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:52:38 pm »
I have started in the wrong gear after a yellow, thats why.  When we slow down or stop I hate trying to find out what gear you are in.  We shift at the green only..
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:56:56 pm »
Mine looks something like this.
 :) :D ;D
      ???

Offline bback58

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 05:31:45 pm »
Holy cow Steve!!!!   No wonder you keep banging into the other cars.  You are so busy looking at the gauges that you don't have any time to look out your windshield.  :)
Brian B

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
Hey steve,
  I like it!  I want guages.  Maybe not quite that many.  Even if Im not much of a racer, I want my car to look like one!  Im a gadget kinda  guy, theres no telling what I'll have on mine before it ever sees the track.  Half the fun to me is looking into all you can do to them, research it and do the install, even though most of I dont even know what Im doing. LOL!

KB

Offline knuclebuster

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:06:09 pm »
Dave,
  I appreciate the offer on the tach,but Im leaning towards installing a matching tach, pressure and temp guages.  Thanks anyway.

KB

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Gauges
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 11:25:25 pm »
KB,
Serious, I have gauges for everything!
I make light of it. But you really WON'T  have enough time to monitor all of them.
I have brake bias gauges, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, fuel pressure, and a tach.
Starter switches and fans, bells, whistles,  and lights.... There is just NOT enough time to check all that in a race situation.
Also, since I am not INEX/ 600 racing legal, I don't have to worry about that.
The minimal approach is your best bet. If it's going to blow it's going to blow!
Spend your money on the safety issues (belts, suit, gloves, etc...) and just getting the car to the end of the race.
What's a "real race car" look like?
Most I have raced, or seen, use very little in the way of gauges.
You just won't have that much time.

Brian,
These things have  a windshield?
All I have is a screen!
Might have to look into that next!  ;)

Steve

PS,
 Don't know what Dave wants for the dash with tach....
But you can match the gauges with the brand of tach.
I have parts from Dave...
I will tell you that he won't sell you junk!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:55 am »
Alright!!!!!
For those of you that already figured out I posted a pic of an airplane  dash...
Lighten Up!!!
Thought it was funny!!!
I can, however, put a ton of gauges in my dash.
Realistically.... Who has time to read them. ???

In a race situation...
Ain't going to happen!!!

Tach... Because I like one. (Personal Opinion)
Water temp light (and/ or gauge)... Because I can.
Oil temp gauge (Same)
Fuel pressure (hey! Why not!!!)
Everything else..............
Don't need them!

KB,
 All the stuff that "Looks Cool" on a Hot Rod doesn't make much sense on a Race Car.
You REALLY Won't Have Time  To Look At All Of It!

My oppinion for what you think it's worth.

Spend your money on things that really count.

Steve

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:21:12 am »
I have a tach and oil temp gauge, gear indicator and an oil pressure light.  I highly recomend an OP light because you at least need to know if you have OP.  I agree with the others on the gear indicator, helps a lot with restarts.   Also, the tach is my friend, I am pretty big on gearing the car and the recall feature gets used everytime I am on the track, lets you know if the track is slowing down and how much.  You probably wont find an 11000 rpm tach as all of the Legends cars I have seen are 10000.  600 racing sells matching gauges with the Legends logo on them
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:54:31 am »
New to legends, but in previous cars, I liked having gauges.  If a temp light goes off, it is nice to know if it is a little hot, or about to make a loud bang sound.  Same with oil pressure.  Under normal racing you will not be looking at them much, but during cautions or when a light goes off I like having the information to make a decision.     

Offline thunder938

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 12:05:49 pm »
Oil psi ..ok, but may scare you in the turns when psi drops a lot in these cars
Tack..ok if you need it, I don’t use mine..its gone
Oil temp…YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW..LOL

I am trying to loose any weight I can, only going to run the gear ind.
Dave