Author Topic: Buying a used Legends race car  (Read 13985 times)

Offline JGRacing

Buying a used Legends race car
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:33:54 pm »
I have been racing a modified and am thinking about moving to a Legends car in the near future.  When I start looking at used cars, are there any areas that I have to pay extra attention to?  I am in Missouri so anything I look at in the area will probably have most of it's racing done on a dirt track.  Also, is there any good way to evaluate how much life might be left in a used engine?  Thanks in advance.   

Offline DARK AGE 53

Re: Buying a used Legends car
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:23:08 am »
I have been racing a modified and am thinking about moving to a Legends car in the near future.  When I start looking at used cars, are there any areas that I have to pay extra attention to?  I am in Missouri so anything I look at in the area will probably have most of it's racing done on a dirt track.  Also, is there any good way to evaluate how much life might be left in a used engine?  Thanks in advance.   

That's a hard question to answer, I guess the best thing would be to check everything to possibly can. If you feel the person you're dealing with isn't telling you the truth about the car then I would walk away ( no, I'd run away ), that's a judgement call so go with your gut feeling. As for engine life, who knows......I've seen new engines go up in flames. A compression test as well as a leak down test could give you some idea though, good luck with your search.

Al
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:30:05 pm »
Measure to see that things are within tolerance, like ride height, and wheelbase and put it on scales to see if numbers are where they should be without things being over-adjusted.

Look for cracks around gussets and bent lollypops where radius rods attach to the chassis.

Look for bent radius rods, A-arms, and panhard bar, as well as rod ends.

Put the car on blocks, supporting the rear axle and put it in gear with the engine on so you can see if axles and/or wheels are bent.

Bleed the brakes...fluid should be clean.

Ask about oil change interval, number of races since rebuild, and ask for rebuild documentation.

Do a correct compression check.  A good, sealed engine will be between 155 and 165 psi, and a unsealed engine cannot be more that 180 psi.  170 psi on an unsealed would be  good. 

Shake the drive shaft while looking at the U-joints.  Movement is not good.

Pull on the top of the tire to see if there is any play in the rod ends and/or ball joints.

Anything outside these parameters is reason for price negotiation.  There are other things to look at as well, but this is a good list to get you started at evaluating damage that may need to be fixed before, or soon after you begin racing.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:45:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I am looking forward to getting out of the modified money pit and into something a little more fun. 

anything