1 filter
4 (26.7%)
whetevers cheapest
0 (0%)
whatevers best
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: December 03, 2008, 01:22:35 pm

Author Topic: Air Filters...Please vote!  (Read 9424 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Air Filters...Please vote!
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »
Hey guys,
Working with R2C Competition Filters on a filter for Legends applications, and they want to know what we prefer as a filter configuration...let me know your honest thoughts. They are in R&D on it for me now, and are ready to test the 2 filter style that most of us run, but wanted to get some input...7 day poll, so vote now!
Thanks

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
Re: Air Filters...Please vote!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:35:53 pm »
I voted for one filter, I dont see any reason why they couldnt make a single filter box work for less than 2 filters.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »
I voted for the 4 filter approach.  I think you would end up with more filter surface area that way.  Although the may be cramped, it would probably be easier to install than the 2 carb per filter K&N solution.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline bback58

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:07:35 pm »
I know I wanted 4 K&N filters, but they want something like 50 bucks each for them - OUCH!!  I figured they would be easier to put on.  Sometimes it is hard to get both openings on the dual filters on.
Brian B

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 10:35:18 am »
I have the twin K&N filters, but I am going to buy the twin foam style.  The K&N are ok, but from taking them on on off they have crushed bit .  Most guys I race with went back to the foam ones.  Ialso have one of those big oval filters for oll four carbs.  Never used it...came with the car
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:42:19 am »
I'm thinking that I will modify my air box and use a single filter. Would be easy to change or clean.
My .02

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:32:33 am »
I don't see that as being easier on these carbs.  I find it frustrating sometimes getting just 2 carbs covered with one filter, like bback58 does.  Getting 4 carbs in...

More to the point, if it's a single filter it would have to be very big to get more surface area of filter than having four single carb filters.

I've been disturbed at how quickly the K&N filters get thin looking.  It seems that a new filter can start to become see through in a season, and then you start getting a large amount of grit through the filter if you wash and recoat often.  Because of this, I'm not convinced the K&N are the best choice.  I'm thinking I'll try foam filters for next season.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 02:38:02 pm »
Just wait before buying anything...unfortunately you have alot of time, (I hate thesecold weather off seasons!)and we are close to having something here. R2C has been making military air intakes and filters for 20 years, and just started with some racing applications. They have been selling the 14" round air filter for about a year with rave reviews from everyone racing modifieds and late models that I've heard from, have finished a 16" model, and are almost ready for a Legends filter for me...No Oiling, No "Recharging", no prefilters, and the most efficient filter I've seen so far. Waiting to see what they come up with. Heres a link for you for the test results on the 14"

http://www.r2cperformance.com/comparison.html

I'll keep you updated, we are working on a contingency deal for the '09 season also, as long as the filters test out the way they are supposed to.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:52 am »
One air fliter would create more balanced air flow between all of the cylinders.  My carb guy siad the 2 air filter system creates a situation where the front 2 cylders get most of the air while the back 2 would starve.  With one air filter box the back to would steal a bit from the from two creating a more balanced system.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 02:42:43 pm »
One air fliter would create more balanced air flow between all of the cylinders.  My carb guy siad the 2 air filter system creates a situation where the front 2 cylders get most of the air while the back 2 would starve.  With one air filter box the back to would steal a bit from the from two creating a more balanced system.

Exactly why I want a single air cleaner.  I see some people concerned about coverage, look at the air filter the cup guys and local late model racers are pulling 800hp through, a 14" diameter by 4" tall filter.  Our little cars dont need the filter area of individual filters and having one housing should help balance the cylinders.  As long as the box is designed correctly it shouldnt be any harder to ge on and off than the duals.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 11:42:51 am »
by the way the foam ones are better on the dyno than the K&N

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 01:43:16 pm »
RB,
 Have you read the claims on their website?
 http://www.r2cperformance.com/comparison.html

I DO think that I will still modify my air box and go with the single filter. I see a lot of that happening in the Dwarf Car ranks.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.