Author Topic: Oil cooler cleaning  (Read 6947 times)

Offline JGRacing

Oil cooler cleaning
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:58:48 am »
Anyone have a good way of cleaning out an oil cooler?  While I am waiting for my engine, I am just trying to use the time to go over every detail on the car.  I have had it hanging upside down for a while, but was not sure what the best way would be to flush it out. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Oil cooler cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:03:10 pm »
Hi John,
 You could take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it in their tank. Or, clean it out with some radiator flush, rinse well, and blow it out with some air.
Just some thoughts. Hope you get your engine soon.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:01:24 pm »
Not to contradict Steve, but do not take it to a radiator shop. They "boil" out the radiator/cooler and that will leave debris/water in coolers we use; it is okay for a radiator with big tubes they "rod" out, but not closed passages.

The radiator shop I use plugs the trans cooler when working on the radiator portion. When they are done with the radiator, they use lacquer thinner to flush the trans cooler.

I do the same thing at my shop; I filler the cooler with lacquer thinner, cap the outlets, agitate the cooler and then let it sit several hours and/or over night. I do this process several times until the thinner leaving the cooler is clear/clean. The thinner disolves the oils and releases any particulate matter from the tight tolerances of an oil cooler.

The best deal on lacquer thinner is to buy the 5 gallon, "wash thinner" at the auto paint store. This thinner is a lower grade than used for paint, and is used for the cleaning of the painting equipment. 

Good luck,
             Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:08:30 pm »
Randy,
 Good idea!
I did think of using lacquer thinner. I do, however, think that after cleaning (regardless of method) it needs to be blown out to clear debris and moisture.

Did some quick searches. Seems there are places that use ultrasonic cleaning. Other suggestions include running solvent through a pump (drill operated) and through the oil cooler, rinse, run some WD-40 through to absorb moisture, and blow dry.

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:40:35 pm »
Sounds like a good idea.  I use brake cleaner spray for the lines and then blow them out, but did not want to use anything in the coolers that would leave sludge or deposits.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »
The hard part about blowing out full flow oil coolers like we use; the air takes the path of least resistance, thus leaving areas that don't get much or any air pressure. I just keep flushing until it is clean and then let it dry. That is the nice thing about lacquer it evaporates quickly.

Also as you are flushing, I flush both ways in an alternating method. I reverse flush the first time, then change direction the next time. If you could build a filtered pump system to circulated the thinner, that would be the most effective.

The ultrasonic cleaner is mostly water based cleaing solutions. I have one I use for cleaning carbs and it works great. I don't know how it would work with the cooler due to the closed surfaces inside. It might break particles free, but it will still need to be flushed.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:28:50 pm »
I'm following you Randy!
I like the flush both ways idea!
I've never had a problem where I needed to.
Was just my random thoughts.

Steve

anything