Author Topic: Engine smoking  (Read 15463 times)

Offline JGRacing

Engine smoking
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:00:51 pm »
I finally got my engine running and its smoking out of the exhaust like crazy when it gets up to temp (or what I think is up to temp because the oil temp gauge evidently does not work >:( ).  I have a temp gun and the case is around 200 degees when the smoke starts.  No smoke until it is going for a few minutes then it starts smoking.  I paid the place I got it from $1500 to have the head done but it is looking like a valve seal or something.  I don't think it is rings or a bent valve because the compression is 190 to 200 lbs on all cylinders even with the cams turned back.  It looks like the heads were decked a little too much.   >:(   To say I am ticked would be a big understatement.  Any thoughts on where I need to start?     

Offline JGRacing

Re: Engine smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:38:53 am »
Just had a thought.  If the muffler has oil in it from the previous motor it was on, could that be why I don't see smoking until the engine is hot?  I would think that as soon as the exhaust gets hot (first minute or so) that it would smoke, but just trying to figure out what the issue might be. 

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:56:12 pm »
Oil in the muffler should burn off fairly quickly and then be done.   Take the muffler off and see if it smokes that will tell you for sure.
Did you over fill the engine with oil?
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:14:44 pm »
Oil is about 3/4th of the way up the window on the front of the motor when it is hot so I think the level is OK.  It's strange how it goes from no smoke to smoke just pouring out.  I've run it 3 or 4 times for about 5 to 7 minutes each.  I tried giving it a little gas (about 5000 RPM's) when it was at temp to see if it would clear out the cylinders, and it didn't help.       

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:21 pm »
Did the head or head gasket get put on wrong?
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:06:46 pm »
A legends dealer assembled it so not sure. 

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:18 pm »
What exactly was done to the head/engine. I will not do a "valve job" on an engine. I have people send me heads for the job, but I will not do one on an engine myself. Alot of times when the upper end of the engine is rebuild, it amplies the wear in the pistons/cylinders/rings. I did a couple of valve jobs years ago and those engines all had smoking issues when hot. Based on your compression numbers, it might very well be a lower end issue. The compression will be high due to the fact the oil is getting past the oil control ring and aiding in the top & second ring seal. You might take off the muffler and see if it is one cylinder or all four.

In regards to deck height: The deck height was probably only machine until it was flat, but if it has been machined several times prior it is getting pretty short.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Randy - RPM
rpm@swaybar.com

Thanks,
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
I'll pull the muffler and see if it is one cylinder.  Also going to try a leakdown test.  I talked to the dealer and the engine was run in after the head was rebuilt (not sure of the specifics beyond new springs and decking) and they did not have any issues.  When I picked up the car in January the old fuel cell was already out and I did not run it until last weekend.  The plugs look a little wet but no fouling (not sure if synthetic oil would foul).  Unfortunately, the nearest engine builder who handles legends cars is hundreds of miles away and none of the local bike dealers want anything to do with an engine that is not in a bike.  Hate to spend the money to ship it somewhere only to find out that I can't afford the repair bill at the moment.       

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:48:20 am »
Randy,
Should the leakdown test be done with the engine hot or cold if the oil might be sealing the rings? 

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:44 pm »
Check it cold as that will give you a worst case senario.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:40 pm »
I would check it hot.  jmho.
My reasoning: the oil is thinner at temp.
Your temp gun is a starting point; But remember that the case helps dissapate heat. It is not the most effective way to test oil temp. Try to get your gauge fixed so that you have a little bit more accurate reading. Maybe a cooking thermometer dipped into the oil would be of some help. ??? Just a thought.
Is there oil in your exhaust system? Are you running air cooled or water cooled? Gasket put on wrong? (Could Happen)  Any results from pulling the exhaust?
Just throwing out my random thoughts. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 01:22:47 pm »
Engines typically seal better when hot because  the pistons and rings expand.  It wouldnt hurt to check it cold then warm it up and check it.  If you check it cold you should know right away if its bad or good.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 01:30:39 pm »
Ok; I understand your reasoning.
Checking hot and cold may be of some help. :-\

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 01:52:03 pm »
Its really hard to diagnose engine issues online.  I would say have a fellow racer look at it or bring it back to the dealer and have them look at it since you said it was fine before they worked on it.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 02:00:28 pm »
Problem is that the dealer is 6 hours away and there are not any other legends racers within hours of me.  They said that it was run after the head work and they did not see smoke.  I'll see what information I can pull together and go from there.  Thanks everyone for the advice.  Hopefully I will actually get to race at some point.