Author Topic: carbs  (Read 8026 times)

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
carbs
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:01:38 pm »
would some one be kind enough to tell me what size the hex screws are on the carb intake boots.
I don't have the size and I don't want to buy a whole bunch, also I have seen guys using a long T handle, have asked at the auto parts store, but did not have anything.
thanks all

rob

Offline DARK AGE 53

Re: carbs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:08:49 pm »
3mm hex.

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:21:16 pm »
it takes half the time to remove, if you switch over to regular phillips head screws instead.
i laugh every time i see someone struggling with those hex screws. because you SOL if you misplace the long hex key

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:12:51 pm »
You should be able to get the T-handle hex wrench at Sears or Mac dealer.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:10 am »
thanks guys,

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »
I don't think I'd ever intentionally switch to Philips head screws for anything.  Switching to slot head makes sense if you want to be able to turn the screw with just about anything in case you've misplaced the screw driver, but they strip too easy.  Philips head screws strip far too easily, and few things work instead of a philips driver to turn the screw.  Torx were made to tick off the world.  Robertson don't strip nearly as easily as philips, but are harder to come by.  So why not just leave the hex head in there?  Somebody at the track will have a driver you can borrow.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 10:07:19 pm »
This is what you do for the hex heads, get a flex shaft screwdriver I then affixed a five  point socket to the end of the flex shaft, get a five point 3 mm hex bit and glue it to into the socket once it dries you have a great tool to tighten the hex screws, the bad thing about the phillipps are that they strrip out over time and are a pian when your in a hurry.

Mike.

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:28:19 am »
Thanks for all the replys.
What I found at sears was a 3mm ball head about 3" long with a 3/8 drive.
Makes them pretty easey to get off by hand.
thanks again
rob

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:12 pm »
For those of you with philips head screws that are fairly stripped, I found the best way to get them out was with an impact driver.  I've had one of these tools in my tool box for decades.  I don't need to put it into action all that often, but when I get a stripped Philips screw, this is usually how it comes out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:34:53 am »
If your tightening the screws so tight that your stripping them out...............

You have gone WAY to far!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:58:05 pm »
It's easy to tighten these too far.  When tightening screws we naturally lean into the screwdriver as we turn.  For some reason we don't always do the same when removing the screw.  Also don't forget the properties of dissimilar metals.  We are often using a steel screw to fasten something to an aluminum body.  This can often result in corrosive action locking the screw in.

Philips screws are just a bad idea.  If you want to use some kind of standard, use that Canadian invention, the Robertson screw... ;D

Mike