Author Topic: Oil level  (Read 5445 times)

Offline JGRacing

Oil level
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:19:16 am »
Is it just my car or is it just about impossible to see the oil level window on the front of the engine?  The previous owner mounted the oil cooler and fan about an inch from what looks like the window, but I cannot even see it without pulling the cooler.  I have two coolers (one big cooler with a fan in front of the clutch cover and another small one to the side for the top end oiler).   

John

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Oil level
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:00:35 pm »
How is your cooler mounted? My cooler is mounted on a bracket spanning the front frame rails on the top of the rails, and I can see the window fine
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »
They are mounted side by side to an aluminum rail that goes between the frame rails.  The motor on the electric fan is right up near the oil level window.  The coolers are staggered a little (side by side but with one in front of the other since they overlap a couple of inches).  I am thinking about moving the big cooler forward and the small top end oiler cooler back. 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
Could you shine a really bright light through the cooler and use a mirror to see the level? I have to do that sometimes if the sun is just right. Just a thought from Scott........................... ;D
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 10:22:06 am »
I was able to get a mirror in just the right place to see it, but did not have enough light.  I'll try a bright flashlight and see if it helps. 

The mounts for the coolers do not look very easy to modify and I don't want to move them closer to the grill if I don't have to.  Maybe moving the engine back 6 inchs would do it.  :)