Author Topic: First Race  (Read 8437 times)

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
First Race
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:08:17 pm »
Just got done with my first Legends car race and my first dirt race.   I have to start last the first 3 weeks so I started 8th in the heat and finished 7th, I only got 2 practice laps.  In the feature they started all 22 cars and I started 20th and figured out how to drive the car correctly and finished 7th in 20 laps.  I was going t be happy just to stay on the lead lap with how rocky my heat race was.  Very fun and as a former asphalt racer I highly recommend trying dirt racing, 2, 3, or 4 grooves to work with is awesome!  Hopefully I can do a little better next week.

www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: First Race
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 03:23:29 am »
Congrats Jeff!!!
Get in as much seat time as you can.
The more you get used to the car, and the dirt................
Well, lets just say you'll have a big grin posted right here!  ;)

Best Of Luck!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:00:01 pm »
Jeff looked great last night, congratulations. I on the other hand should have left it on the trailer. Spun twice in the heat, so I parked it. Did some air pressure adjustments and such. Started dead last in the Main, Tried the outside and passed 4 cars in the first lap. Ducked down to pass a car on the lowside and lost it, got hit in the front while parked in the turn. Guy who hit me flipped,  his car is junk. Havent evaluated mine yet...looks like oil cooler, filter adapter, front clip, grille, bumper, etc.  Everything is pushed back to the motor. Wont start either, nor will the cooler fan go on, so Im hoping its an electrical issue up front, either that or I tore the starter out...or worse. Guess we'll know Monday night!   :(

Once again, looked great Jeff!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:41:34 pm »
Jim,
 Sorry to hear that you had a rough night.
Hope things aren't as bad as you think and can be repaired quickly.
I also hope the driver that flipped is OK.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »
Thanks guys, I wish I could get more seat time but thier is no open practices on dirt around here.  I just have to make the most of it on race day.

Sorry to hear that Jim, I knew you were involved but I didnt realize your car was that bad off.  Can you just pull the clip straight or do you have to put it on the jig and have a new one put on?  Hopefully you can get it fixed for this week yet.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:57:08 pm »
Sorry to hear you got hit.  Hope it's recoverable.  Enough bad luck for one year, now go have some good luck.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:45:55 pm »
I've got my crew guy and a friend that drives modifieds coming over tomorrow to see if we can straighten it out and get it running for the weekend. Left front rail is bent in and down, right side is bent out about 3 inches, but all movement seems to be in front of the steering brace...so hopefully....

Cooler is saveable...still havent gotten to the starting issue yet. Body work is why god invented colored duct tape  :)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:43:10 pm »
Good job Jeff.  Still getting my car together, so I'm jealous.

Jim, hope you can get the car back together quickly.  I hate sitting on the track like that waiting to see if someone is going to run you over.  Wonder if the jolt could have broken loose a plate in the battery?   

John     

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:48:44 pm »
Good point.

Have you tried jumping the car to see if that gives you power?  At least with the rails being bent in front of the steering brace there's a chance that you'll be up and running fairly quickly and cheaply.  Good luck.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
Ive got lights, fuel pump runs,  and now that the oil cooler fan is fixed, that works, so not lucky enough for a battery issue. Yeah, its wierd just sitting there...very calming for some reason, I remember it took like 20 minutes for him to finally hit me, everything was in slow motion. I remember thinking "hmmm, should I close my eyes, or not?"  I know it sounds odd, but I was so relaxed, it was like a dream.  ???
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

anything