Author Topic: Tire Temps  (Read 7150 times)

speedyracing11

Tire Temps
« on: May 10, 2008, 08:20:52 am »
When checking for the best camber for a track on the front end.What is the ideal temps across the tread on both tires to determan the best setting.Also on s higher bank track do you want less camber on the right side?

Offline legendcar49

Re: Tire Temps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
We  tried taking tire temps at the begining of the 2007 season.  The results were  inconsistant and unusable .  The RF tire would read  120-125-130  We would make no changes to the car and the next time off the track they would read  127- 135- 115.  Most people don't believe me until they take there own temps.

Bob Johnson 

speedyracing11

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:19:43 am »
In other words forget about it.I just think we have too much.about 5 1/2 on the right front.

FFmedic

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:34:05 pm »
I was told aslong as your tire temps are somewhat the same all the way across, the tire, you will have the right amount of caster/camber in the car.  I've checked my tires, and they all seem to be the same across.  Granted the RF and RR are a bit higher then the lefts.

Joe

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:55:13 am »
While we are on the subject of tire temps and such. About how long after the car comes off the track do you have to check tire temps and pressures. Reason I ask is at my home track, the pit area is both in and outside the track. If my Driver finishes top 3 he has to weigh outside from where we pit. I try to be good about documentation before and after the races. Though since he often finishes top 3 it usually takes me 10-15 min to get my hands on the car. Is this too late?
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

CWall5

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:22:24 pm »
The sooner the better..... i'ld think 10-15 mins later you would get false readings...  Cause if part of the tire has less tread on it that part can disapate heat faster...  but the sooner the better.. Maybe meet him where the scales are, and try that and compair that to your 10-15mins later temps. The 10-15 mins temp will be cooler but what your looking for is the temp spilt.  Hope this helps

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:51:11 pm »
Your temps are meaningless if you take them more than about 3-4 minutes after the car is at speed.  They start cooling as soon as the pace slows, meaning they will cool on the track while coming to the pits.  The best way to do it is check as soon as he gets to the pits or meet him at the scales.  Make sure you get a probe that will stick into the rubber, surface temps mean very little.  If I wait more than 5 min after the car comes off the track I dont even bother because the tires dont cool evenly so your numbers will not be accurate.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 01:05:05 pm »
John,
 I have to go with what the others are saying. To get any kind of real information from tire temps, you have to get them ASAP.
Meet the driver at the scales.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything