LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

Welding spider gears

(1/2) > >>

JGRacing:
Does anyone have advice on the best way to weld spider gears without screwing something up?  I have a wire feed welder and an arc (not tig) welder to work with.  Leaning towards using the arc with whatever the appropriate rod would be for this type of metal.  I know a full spool is the way to go, but that will have to wait for now.     

racerrad8:
I weld all of my gears for personal use and those I sell with a MIG. I use an anti-splatter spray throughtout the interior of the housing to prevent slag from sticking to the gears or bearings. I weld the eight corners of the spider gears, along with the side gear that is exposed to the side of the carrier. Make sure that you attach your ground lead directly to the ring gear. If you attach it anywhere else, you are runing the circuit through the bearing(s) which will ruin them. You can by the anti-splatter spray at a welding shop; the can I have is made by Randor and is product #64000100.

And finally, the spool is not the way to go. If you gave me a free lifetime supply of them, I would only use them for paperweights. I have personally had three spools strip, and have had many customers have the same problem. The spools are not heat treated as well as the Toyota spider gears, and the spool gets really sloppy. If you have a spool, check the slop in the splines from side to side, when they are new they are tight. If your spool has alot of play in wheel travel from side to side, it might be time to get another one.

Randy - RPM

--- Quote from: JGRacing on April 28, 2008, 04:32:20 pm ---Does anyone have advice on the best way to weld spider gears without screwing something up?  I have a wire feed welder and an arc (not tig) welder to work with.  Leaning towards using the arc with whatever the appropriate rod would be for this type of metal.  I know a full spool is the way to go, but that will have to wait for now.     

--- End quote ---

justfreaky:
The worst way to weld the spider gears is with the arc welder (although we all did it back in the day).
It creates very high heat, wich is bad for the hardened steel gears, and creates  a lot of spatter.

You could get someone to braze them for you. This will eliminate the slag and spatter problem.
I would do this much the same way as Randy suggests.

Steve

pegalis:
It need not look good.  It just has to get the job done.

JGRacing:
Thanks everyone for the advice and photo. 

Pegalis- my welding looking good is usually pretty unlikely.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version