Author Topic: Welding spider gears  (Read 9965 times)

Offline JGRacing

Welding spider gears
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:32:20 pm »
Does anyone have advice on the best way to weld spider gears without screwing something up?  I have a wire feed welder and an arc (not tig) welder to work with.  Leaning towards using the arc with whatever the appropriate rod would be for this type of metal.  I know a full spool is the way to go, but that will have to wait for now.     

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Welding spider gears
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:00:10 am »
I weld all of my gears for personal use and those I sell with a MIG. I use an anti-splatter spray throughtout the interior of the housing to prevent slag from sticking to the gears or bearings. I weld the eight corners of the spider gears, along with the side gear that is exposed to the side of the carrier. Make sure that you attach your ground lead directly to the ring gear. If you attach it anywhere else, you are runing the circuit through the bearing(s) which will ruin them. You can by the anti-splatter spray at a welding shop; the can I have is made by Randor and is product #64000100.

And finally, the spool is not the way to go. If you gave me a free lifetime supply of them, I would only use them for paperweights. I have personally had three spools strip, and have had many customers have the same problem. The spools are not heat treated as well as the Toyota spider gears, and the spool gets really sloppy. If you have a spool, check the slop in the splines from side to side, when they are new they are tight. If your spool has alot of play in wheel travel from side to side, it might be time to get another one.

Randy - RPM

Does anyone have advice on the best way to weld spider gears without screwing something up?  I have a wire feed welder and an arc (not tig) welder to work with.  Leaning towards using the arc with whatever the appropriate rod would be for this type of metal.  I know a full spool is the way to go, but that will have to wait for now.     
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:56 pm »
The worst way to weld the spider gears is with the arc welder (although we all did it back in the day).
It creates very high heat, wich is bad for the hardened steel gears, and creates  a lot of spatter.

You could get someone to braze them for you. This will eliminate the slag and spatter problem.
I would do this much the same way as Randy suggests.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:23:57 am »
It need not look good.  It just has to get the job done.
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:32:20 am »
Thanks everyone for the advice and photo. 

Pegalis- my welding looking good is usually pretty unlikely.   ;)

Offline Shawnben

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:18:34 pm »
WoW! You must have used a spood if wire welding that up. All the gears I saw welded were just where the spider gears mesh. Not saying there's anything wrong with the way your is. It will sure do the job.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:21 pm »
While Pegalis goes a bit overboard;
He also runs Rock Crawlers.

Don't think that is coming apart anytime soon!

;D

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:06:55 am »
 ;D

There is one problem with only welding between the teeth of the spider gears. Over time and a few hard races, the welds can crack, and allow some movement in the gears.  Sooner or later, that carrier will give into the stresses, and but into big chunks.  Engine your race for the day. 
Yea, im abit overkill. If its worth doing, it worth doing way to much :)
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 03:03:56 pm »
Tig is the best option.

anything