Author Topic: Timing  (Read 5448 times)

Offline JGRacing

Timing
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:36:36 pm »
Before reading my question, keep in mind that I am completly new to motorcycle engines.  ???

I have my cams all lined up and ready to go, the mark on the crank trigger is lined up, then I realized that that the trigger makes 2 revolutions for every on revolution of the cam.  How do I know that I don't have the entire thing 180 degrees off?  

Offline thunder938

Re: Timing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 02:26:40 pm »
Set the crank at TDC.  The middle cam cap has a small window hole at the top.  Line up the cams with the dimple on the cams in the center of the hole.  This will get your cams at the most basic timmed.
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 02:46:03 pm »
I have the cams lined up with the back lobes sticking out, dimples in the holes on the cam caps and the crank trigger timing mark lined up, but with the trigger coming around twice for every one turn of the cam, it seems like I could have this 180 degrees off.  Does the ignition fire on the power stroke and exhaust stroke, or does it only fire on every other turn of the crank trigger?   

Offline thunder938

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:51 pm »
The box should control the fire, and No it can not fire on the exhaust stroke if it did it would back fire out the pipe.  just make sure that the number 1 is top and the valves are closed.  Timing marks lined up.  You should get a motor book for the FJ1200, E-bay about 30 bucks.
Dave

anything