Open or Enclosed

Open, I'm cheap
2 (16.7%)
Open, Greater exposure of the car/sport to the public
2 (16.7%)
Enclosed
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Trailers  (Read 9867 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Trailers
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:15:38 am »
This is a debate that came up alot at the track last year, so I thought I'd put it out there. I was thinking about an enclosed trailer, but realized that most of our guys had open ones. I found that while some of them just wanted to keep the costs down (which is my case!), alot of the guys made a compelling arguement that the open trailer exposes the sponsors and cars to alot more people, thus possibly creating more interest in the sport and local short track racing. I know, that whenever I took the car anywhere, I was stared at constantly, with smiles and pointing fingers and thumbs up, so I was just wondering, outside of my little  mind, where does everyone else come in on the thought? Honestly, this started after seeing Chance's huge-ass trailer (no offense to Chance, I wish I could afford something like that) and wondering as he drives from track to track, do people know whats in there???

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

Re: Trailers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:53:19 pm »
I have a 6 by 12 enclosed and would would not want a open trailer.  My trailir a bit small, but I make it work.  It's nice to load it up go in any weather.  Also if you want to get your sponsors names out there an enclosed trailer is a rolling bill board which would get alot more looks going down the road than a small decal on a small car.

just my thoughts right or wrong????

Dave
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:58:48 pm »
I think the open trailer offers people a view of what ya got.
The enclosed trailers make for a nice little oasis, and place to work on the car out of the weather. But, unless you put some murals on it, nobody can see what you have.
How many times have you seen an enclosed trailer and wondered what's in there?
They are a rolling billboard though.

My .02

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
Thats the thing, I would love to have one for security/weather/storage reasons, but unless you spend big $$ on a wrap, it could be a landscapers trailer for all anyone knows. I like the idea of the enclosed one if I ever get to do some traveling too. I don't know...good thing I can't afford to do it!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:21:05 pm »
I prefer an open trailer for the reasons mentioned. I spent a whole day in a major city displaying my car with maybe a dozen lookers. When I went to the campground to spend the night I had every kid there in the car for pictures and probabbly around 100 adults checking it out. I have seen 3 of the families from the campground at different tracks since to watch me race. They had never been to a race before. This was when I had my open trailer. But now with a second car I needed a bigger trailer so I now have a 28 foot enclosed which is very nice ;D.

Geoff

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:44:05 am »
A few years ago I saw a trailer used to haul a NASCAR whatever Cup car and it had lexan sides with dim lights in it so everyone could see that car as it was hauled down the road.  Not sure how practical it would be, but thought it looked kind of cool at night. 

I have an open trailer already, but since I will need to do some traveling for races, I would like to get an enclosed sometime in the future so that everything is locked up. 

John

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:57 am »
 Could you imagine the cost of something like that!!!  :o

I just think that when people can see what you have; that it creates an excitement.
I DO, however, like the security of an enclosed trailer.
 On a side note (I saw this posted over on DCR); Paint some numbers on the top of your enclosed trailer, it could help should your trailer be stolen. Just thought it was a good idea.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:15 pm »
Here is where the saleman in me comes out.  You say that an open trailer is great for showing off your sponsours.  How about selling them add space on the enclosed trailer?  The trailer has huge flat walls for their logo and gives you a chance to upsell your advertising package.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 04:55:21 pm »
True, but I betcha less than 10% of all enclosed trailer owners have anything on their trailer!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Kyle. Daughtery

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:35:54 pm »
My team has a forty eight foot trailer. I know you're thinking excessive much? Not at all with two legends cars, two bandoleros, and a junior fastkart. I like out trailer being enclosed because of the extra storage and the enclosed part no weather issues there. With the enclosed trailer you can build cabinets on the tops of the walls to store parts or put tire racks up to keep clutter down. Oh and it looks awesome! Since we don't have sponsers it's not really a selling point but if we did I would like to put decals up on the sides of it.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 11:07:26 am »
With that many cars, I'm impressed that you can fit it all in a 48' trailer.  :)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:52:46 pm »
Well I must give you praise for actually filling it.  I saw so many teams while I was in Atlanta with 48 foot trailers for a Bando.  I mean these parents went way overboard.  I even asked one if they have another car or something like a late model that was at home.  Nope, just for the Bando.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:25:32 am »
I had a enclosed trailer for years. It was a 16X8 and was the perfect size. Then we got a motorhome and started towing with it and the enclosed trailer was to heavy. I bought a 16 foot car hauler and built a 4x4 box on the front and tire rack off the back of that. It works nice and pulls like a dream. I never thought about how much attention the car was going to get but I have people pulling up to me all the time and give me a thumbs up. When I went to the Nationals this past year it was a 1100 mile one way pull. There where many times that I needed to change lanes to pass a slower car and people where just riding beside the trailer checking out the car. It was kinda funny. Have a great year everyone.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Kyle. Daughtery

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:49 am »
We haven't had all of the cars in there yet but we're thinking we can fit the bandoleros side by side inside the trailer past the wheel wells up front then behind there the two legends and in front of the bandoleros the junior fastkart sideways. Plus tools and spares and stuff. It's a gooseneck so we have some good storage. All of our tires (8 legends 7 bando) all of our spare parts (lots five boxes or so?) and one of those quick jack things. It works out pretty nice and looks cool too!