Author Topic: Compression test  (Read 7430 times)

Offline MG173

Compression test
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:37:36 pm »
What are the steps to doing a compression test? and is the motor Hot or cold? I know you have to take all 4 plug outs and push full throttle but do I have to disconnect the fuel pump or anything like that?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Compression test
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:12 am »
First, I am sorry for the slow response. I have been busy with job changes.
So this is from the Clymer manual:

Compression Test

At every tune-up, check cylinder compression. Record the results and compare them at the next check. A running record will show trends in the deterioration so that corrective action can be taken before complete failure.

The results, when properly interpreted, can indicate general cylinder, piston ring and valve condition.

Note:
The valves must be properly adjusted to correctly interpret the results of this test.

1. Warm engine to normal operating temperature. Ensure the choke valve and throttle valve are completely open.

2. Remove the spark plugs as described in this chapter.

Note:
A screw-in type compression tester will be required for this procedure.

3. Connect the compression tester to one cylinder following the manufacturer's instructions.

4. Crank the engine over until there is no further rise in pressure.

5. Remove the tester and record the reading.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other cylinders.

7. When interpreting the results, actual readings are not as important as the difference between readings. Standard compression pressure is specified in TABLE 8. Greater differences indicate worn or broken rings, leaky or sticky valves, blown head gasket or a combination of all.
  TABLE 8:
               Compression pressure (cold at sea level)
                  Standard                                                  980 kPa (142 psi)
                  Minimum                                                  882 kPa (128 psi)
                  Maximum                                               1,176 kPa (171 psi)
                Maximum difference between cylinders          100 kPa (15 psi)

If compression reading does not differ by between cylinders by more than 10%, the rings and valves are in good condition.

If a low reading (10% or more) is obtained on one of the cylinders, it indicates valve or ring trouble. To determine which, pour about a teaspoon of engine oil through the spark plug hole onto the top of the piston. Turn the engine over once to clear some of the excess oil, then take another compression test and record the reading. If the compression returns to normal, the valves are good but the rings are defective on that cylinder. If compression does not increase, the valves require servicing. A valve could be hanging open but not burned or a piece of carbon could be on the valve seat.

Note:
If the compression is low, the engine cannot be tuned to maximum performance. The worn parts must be replaced and engine rebuilt.

That is the procedure according to my book. I hope Clymer's doesn't get mad at me for quoting their manual. Do get a manual! I know that this manual is for the Fj 1100 and Fj 1200; But should get you in the ballpark.

Hope that helps you and others with the same question.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MG173

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 11:45:49 am »
Thanks so much Steve, this helps me a lot!

For the valves to be correctly adjusted I think I remember reading that the intake valves are somewhere between .004-.006 and exhaust valves are .006-.008?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 02:44:47 pm »
That sounds right.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MG173

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:10 pm »
Thank you! This forum has really been a life savor for me ;D

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:42:17 am »
Liked and shared!  Good job with this question and answer guys!

anything