Author Topic: Ignition Problem  (Read 6495 times)

Offline BillyJack87

• I got this!
Ignition Problem
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:24:10 am »
I just changed engines due to having a nice hole in the side of the block. The engine I just put in is a fresh engine with no issues what so ever due to a great engine builder. My problem is I'm getting no fire to the spark plugs. I'm using the same red box system that I did not have to remove from the car when I changed the engine. I took the number 1 plug out to check for fire and nothing. I don't get it. Oh I did notice that the plug fired one time but only when I flipped the ignition switches back on??? I'm a little lost here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love the site and the info you can find on here!

BillyJack

Offline Earnst85

Re: Ignition Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:03:28 am »
It would extremely odd, but could be possible that the engine is not grounded through the  bolted connections.

I chased a similar scenario once. I ended up grinding the frame rail top and right side motor underside where they meet and it fired right up.

It seems silly, but something easy to try.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline BillyJack87

• I got this!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:27:00 pm »
Thanks I'll give that a try this afternoon.
BillyJack

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:25:37 am »
When I changed motors last year, grounding caused issues with my car as well.  My car would run but then misfire on the track.   I fixed that with landing the black grounding wire to one of the starter bolts.  The next thing that bit me several months later was one of those factory connectors going from the car to the motor.  I just cut it out and crimped in some single spade connectors.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Offline BillyJack87

• I got this!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:13:52 am »
After reading a few different topics on this site (great info) I have set the timing correctly, changed coils, changes inex red boxes and still cant get the car to start. Still no fire. The light does NOT flash on the ignition box when trying to start the motor. What does that mean? Is my pickup bad? Please help! I'm ready to go racing again!!!
BillyJack

Offline mholewinski

• Mojo Legends Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:36:58 pm »
I had a similar problem.  Nothing changed from when the car was shut down last to trying to start again this summer. I would get that single spark when trying to fire.  As long as you are getting all of the right power at the terminals it could be a box or pickup.  Larry at Dynatek just took care of me big time!  I would send your pickup and box in for testing.  They will do it at no charge.  Turned out my box was indeed junk.
~Michael