Author Topic: Hey Dad - BACK UP a little!  (Read 16572 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Hey Dad - BACK UP a little!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:14:58 pm »
Thanks Ricky Bobby, thats my point. As a whole, we have a great bunch of guys willing to help eachother. Theres always one or 2 of the primadonnas or future Jeff Gordons, but they usually stay away from the rest of us. You can have fun and win, but me, I have a blast in every turn, whether Im passing or being passed. Eric Barth, 2 time National masters dirt champion, who swept all masters races this past nationals is a great example. He wins every night, always has a smile on his face, and is the first one there when you need help. Thats the kind of people you find in this class more than any other, and thats why I race legends.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 06:19:22 pm »
That is the main reason I joined the Legends class.  Last year I was racing in another class.  That class was all about winning, but really short on good friendly relations with other racers.  This class was purposed designed to keep racing affordable and a fun family event.  Stress the fun here.  It was like the gentlemen's version of racing.  Guys helping the main contender get their car together in time for a race.

If you're good enough, you'll win.  We can't all be that good, so the rest of us better learn to handle not winning.  Personally I just go to have fun.  I'm going to try my best to beat your butt, but I'm still going to just have fun.  If I get back to the pit and someone decides they need to have a discussion right after the race...  I don't want to talk to them...  Not yet.  Use your head and go cool off before going to talk to another racer.

A racing teacher here has a great point that he brings across to all his classes.  He tells all his students that if you've done something stupid to another racer, as soon as you get back to the pit, go over and apologize.  Swallow your pride and go let the other guy know you screwed up.  Most often this will gain you respect.   Now if the other guy comes charging over to your pit, how can you possibly keep some of your pride by saying sorry?  Now you feel cornered, and the first thing you will do is defend yourself. 

The only reason you should be going over to another racer's pit is to apologize or socialize.  Any other reason is asking for a confrontation. 

I got rear ended hard last season while waiting on a yellow flag.  The lad that rear ended me, saw us moving forward and thought for some reason that we were green and go, so charged up my butt and slammed me and the next four cars together.  Folded his hood too.  Now at the end of the race, I got back to the pit full of righteous indignation.  I was fuming, I was ranting, but luckily I stayed in my pit while I fumed.  After I wound down for a bit, a young lad that I'd noticed on the periphery of my pit came forward to apologize.  Admitted to being the idiot that had rear ended me.  Said he felt like a schmuck for doing it.  He shook my hand and left.  Guess who felt like the bigger schmuck?  That young lad elevated himself very high in my books, and I felt like a class A-1 jerk for sounding off.  He didn't intend to hit me, he just let his mind wander at the wrong time.  He was less than half my age and had more maturity than I'll ever have.  It happens to all of us.  Learn from this, and learn to control your anger.  Learn to love racing for the fun of racing, not for the winning.  Having fun while winning is easy, so try a challenge and learn to have fun even if you don't win!

That's my opinion at any rate.  You're entitled to your own opinion, no matter how wrong!

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
I would be careful about who's pit you go over to right after a race.  If a fight breaks out in the pits at most tracks around here, the person who will get booted out is anyone who is in the wrong pit area.  I've had people come over to me and I have gone to talk to other drivers after the race, but I just try to remember who it is I am dealing with.  With some people you are better off talking to after they have had time to cool down. 

One piece of advice for anyone who has a kid racing.  Teach them to keep there helmet on when they get out of the car after an incident.  Most people will be a lot less likely to take a swing if they are going to hit a helmet.  :) 

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:15 pm »
I have to say that I'm glad this was brought up in the forum instead of on the track.  Good for you jon8j wondering where the line should be drawn, and venting your frustration here.  As always, ask a question get ten conflicting answers, but at least you get answers!

Mike.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

anything