Author Topic: Ball Joints  (Read 7809 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Ball Joints
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:20:43 pm »
Hey Guys.  I was always told to put the ball joints on and then put the car on the ground then tighten them right up.  Is it the same with these cars?

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Ball Joints
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »
Hey Guys.  I was always told to put the ball joints on and then put the car on the ground then tighten them right up.  Is it the same with these cars?

It shouldn't matter with ball joints. That rule applies to rubber bushings that tear if they are tightened while in the relaxed/hanging position. The ball joint can be tightened and it will still be within its normal range of motion.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 09:30:28 pm »
Do you have any measurements when putting in new ball joints for the number of threads you leave out so that you can get your Camber close?  Also I was thinking that too much Camber is what makes your wheelbase too wide.  Woudl setting the bottom left ball joint all the way in and the top right all the way in before setting your camber be a good start or would you likely be offline from the rear end?

Offline gramps05

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:05:19 am »
You want to have the left side pulled in as far as possible, your right side out as far as possible and still be able to go through the width gage after your camber is set. Also the rear wheels must go through the gage. watch your wheel off sets, have seen up to 3/8" difference, the wrong mix and the rear will be to wide.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:39 pm »
So would putting those 2 ball joints in as far as they go be a good start or would it cause problems with the rear end being out of line?

Offline gramps05

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:04:59 pm »
I'm doing this from memory, car isn't here to verify, if you screw the left side bottom ball joint in all the way I don't think there is enough adjustment of the top link to get the camber numbers you want. (can't pull the top of the wheel in far enough) you just have to play with them to get the left side in as far as possible and still be able to get your camber where you want it.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:17:21 pm »
I got some bottom line measurements from a fellow racer tonight measuring from the back of the lock nut and another from the center of the inside heim.  Does anyone have some set measurements they use when they put in new ball joints so you are close on your caster/camber?

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 08:16:16 am »
I set my lower control arms to 15 1/2 inches from center of grease fitting to center of heim joint for the left and 16 1/2 inches for the right. Then adjust my upper control arms for proper camber numbers.

Geoff

anything