Author Topic: Dirt Vs Asphalt Power Importance  (Read 5451 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Dirt Vs Asphalt Power Importance
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:23:39 am »
From the outside looking in, power seems of be of less importance on dirt. I would think you guys would be fighting wheel spin so much what driving style would be more important that that strog motor pulling you down the straigght away. This would make sense why so mnay of you gte away with running 1200's where they rarely win on asphalt.

My motor will be at the end of its life span at the end of next year. Can I give dirt a try and get some more life out of it?

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline Legends57x

Re: Dirt Vs Asphalt Power Importance
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:33:55 pm »
IMO - If understand you correctly that you are converting from asphalt to dirt racing this year, I would run your current engine just as is for the upcoming season assuming their is nothing seriously wrong with it.  Track time to understand dirt track setups along with seat time will be much more important than power.  Once you feel comfortable driving on dirt, then you can go ahead and concentrate on engine performance.

Just my two cents!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:22:30 am »
A lot depends on the track. Of the 15 or 16 different winners we had this season on dirt in Wisconsin, I believe only 3 open motors won features. On a dry slick track, it doesn't make much difference, but if there is any grip, you need a strong motor, sealed or open.
I agree with what Mark said about running it and working on your driving and setup
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:32:12 am »
I was considering a move to dirt in 2017, maybe the end of 2016, if it extended the life of my motor. Closest dirt track is two hours, but we drive 90 min now.

I do want to try it.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous