Author Topic: Valve cover oil leak  (Read 16147 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Valve cover oil leak
« on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:26 am »
Anyone ever have trouble with their valve cover leaking? I had to replace several of the green seals but that is not the issue. I have a leak on the exhaust side valve cover on the both interior and exterior sides. Not sure of the cylinder sequences but it’s the two cylinders closest to the fire wall. The exterior seems to be worse than interior.

The valve cover bolts are at 100 inch pounds. I figure the gasket needs replacing with is my intended course of action tomorrow morning. I am supposed to run my first race tomorrow night so I am hoping this would fix the problem.

Funny thing is I don't see valve cover gasket on US Legends parts list.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Valve cover oil leak
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 08:27:45 am »
Yamaha calls it a "head cover gasket".
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:40 am »
You might want to check your cam journal bolts. I had a valve cover leaking because one of the cam journal bolts was sheared off (fresh from INEX rebuild). Since the valve cover bolts to the cam journals, it was never tightening it down enough to seal the gasket. I had an oil fire on track because the leaking oil puked onto the headers.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:54:22 pm »
Seems similar to my problem. Thanks.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:55 pm »
Can I pull those cam journal bolts one at a time to check them without messing up can timing?

What is the torque spec?

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 05:05:33 pm »
This is where I have to bite my tongue. :P
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:50:46 am »
Can I pull those cam journal bolts one at a time to check them without messing up can timing?

What is the torque spec?

You can pull both bolts on a journal and inspect the journal. The other 3 journals will hold it in place.

As far as torque, I do not remember. I have it written down somewhere, but can't seem to find it. Off the top of my head, the numbers 12 ft/lbs or 144 in/lbs keep popping in there, but don't quote me. Ask around, someone will know. I think I had gotten my info from Curt Andrews when I was dealing with the issue.

Don't be surprised if you have to helicoil some of the threads in the journals, I replaced the sheared bolt and fixed 3 sets of threads in the journals.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:50:39 pm »
Torque spec's for the cam caps is 8.7 ft-lbs per the Haynes manual (Section 2, page 3)with the following caution noted (Section 2, page 11):

"Caution: Tighten the no. 2, then the no. 4, then the no. 1 bearing caps evenly to specifications in that order, then tighten the no. 3 caps to specifications. Otherwise the no.3 caps may be damaged.  While tightening, DO NOT let the camshafts rotate!"
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 02:15:16 pm »
Torque spec's for the cam caps is 8.7 ft-lbs per the Haynes manual (Section 2, page 3)with the following caution noted (Section 2, page 11):

"Caution: Tighten the no. 2, then the no. 4, then the no. 1 bearing caps evenly to specifications in that order, then tighten the no. 3 caps to specifications. Otherwise the no.3 caps may be damaged.  While tightening, DO NOT let the camshafts rotate!"

+1  Jim.

I had faith someone would be on top of it...
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:28:54 pm »

RPM has the genuine Yamaha valve cover and green bolt seals in stock.

Valve Cover Gasket
XJR1300 Grommet

Also, if the head is cracked at the cam boss of the head it will continue to leak. Here is a picture of one that I am currently building that has already been repaired.

Randy - RPM
www.RPMracingCa.com
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 02:05:49 am »
So I do have an issue with a cam journal bolt. Exhaust side #2 cylinder, the cap with three bolts. The odd one close to the chain is the issue. The bolt is not sheared, but is just bottomed out and spins. There was some threads on it when I pulled out.

Is there a steal sleeve down there or are you scewing into aluminum? Wondering if I can tap it and put a little bigger bolt in there?

Btw Randy this head has been repaired before, big Custer of weld in the same spot, not quite as pretty as yours.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 03:38:52 pm »
You will need to drill out, tap and install helicoil to properly repair.  I had to do this once myself on 2-3 of same fasteners on an engine.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:56:33 pm »
That seems to be the route we must go. Watched a youtube video, don't look too difficult.

Or maybe we could go with the next size up bolt. Tap that in.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:47 pm »
Trust me, use the helicoil to repair.  Helicoil thread is actual stronger than virgin aluminum original threads.  I've seen many threads repaired in aluminum engine blocks, heads, etc. 
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:40 pm »
I agree with Mark. Use the helicoil.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.