Author Topic: Question about legends cars  (Read 10753 times)

dtunget

Question about legends cars
« on: March 01, 2008, 11:12:55 am »
What's the approx maximum driver height?  I'm 6'6" 275lbs......I'm thinking about going to TMS and doing a test drive but I'd rather not mess with it if there's not a chance in hell I'll fit.

What about the Thunder Roadsters?  Anyone know if they're any more height friendly?

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
Re: Question about legends cars
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:24:41 am »
Hi dtunget,

I was about 275lbs when I bought my car.  I'm losing some of that now for extra comfort both in the car and out.  I'm only 5'11", so I know that you should have plenty of room width wise.  As for height, my neighbor tried out my car and fit fine and he's 6'5.  The key differences are going to be the ratio of leg length to body length.

My father is 6'3" but when he and sit side by side, I'm much taller.  I've got abnormally short legs for my body height.  That made it a little easier to mount my seat in such a way as to give me more head room.  I just mounted the back of the seat tight to the back wall, and scootched the front of the seat forward to give the seat a little more lean.

When my tall neighbor sat in the car, his legs were a little cramped, though functional.  He enough clearance though that could have sat the seat a little more vertically to give him some more leg room.  I was worried that being more upright his arms and hands would be a bit uncomfortably high, but he actually found it more comfortable.  He normally slouches over the steering wheel while driving his suburban, so he'll be in for a shock when gets a car to realize that there is no slouching with the harness on!

I'd say give it a try.  You may be very surprised.  It'll be a snug fit, but it won't be restrictive.  You need very little room for turning the wheel, and if you change the steering shaft position, you should be able to make enough room for your legs when braking and shifting.  The big thing will be to get a test in a car with a wide enough seat.

Good luck,
Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

dtunget

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:17:18 pm »
I kind of thought that maybe if I show up for one of these $25 3 lap deals at TMS that I might find that the cars are setup for a smaller person....

I really don't think I have to test drive one, since it sounds like a big guy would fit fine with the right seat and position.....I already know I want to go racing :)

The next question I guess is where to start....buy a used car or something?  is brand new the way to go?

Looking at the 600 racing.com site.....they let the thunder roadsters loose on the big track at lowes.  If they were going to do that regularly here I think I might want to get into those....since the price isn't all that much different.....if there are any pros/cons between the series (legends/thunder) please let me know!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 06:51:50 pm »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

FFmedic

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 08:17:43 pm »
I'm 6'2 220lbs and I just got a new car.  It is a little awkward getting in and out, but you get the hang of it.  It is a little crowded for the knees but I moced my bottom jam nut in my steering colum to the top, which moved the steering wheel up. That help alot.  I'm also thinking of tipping my seat more upright to gain a little leg room..  Just gotta watch the head room also. 

New vs. used.  Tottaly up to you, but atleast with new, you know what you are getting. and you can order it with what you want.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Offline thunder938

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 12:18:03 am »
I am 6 foot 3 @about 250 or so :).  I can get in and out with no real problem, but I needed a 10 deg. seat so my knees were not hitting the steering wheel...

Dave
Dave

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 03:32:19 am »
There used to be a guy in VA. that was 6'7" or so and was 340 ish and called himself the world largest Legends driver. Micky Pain was his name and he was a great guy. He didn't any lead and always got payed first.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:41:23 am »
On your question about the roadster, I drove one last Fall and it was a lot of fun.  The longer wheelbase makes it more stable than the legends cars.  The issue you will run into is the lack of places to race them.  Also, racing on faster tracks means that you will tear up more equipment in accidents.  I would love to see these cars at more tracks, but at the moment they seem to be mostly in the Southeast and on road courses. 

anything