Author Topic: Dash Lights  (Read 7653 times)

Offline Andrew Williams

Dash Lights
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:02:27 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and to Legends. I have a '37 Ford Sedan and while rebuilding the car for my son to compete next year ive come across some issues with the wiring.
On the dash there 2 lights, 1 green and 1 red. ive discovered the green light is the neutral light and have no idea what the red light is for??
The car has the gear indicator which when i picked the car up only had 4th gear display working, i have since found the reason for that and rewired it so they all work. Also the oil temp gauge was broken so ive re wired that too and thanks to you guys on the forum i found the wiring diagram of the Legend Cars i was able to re do all the wiring but this red light has me stumped. The wires behind the light goes to positive power and another wire goes through the firewall and stops with no connector or anything.

Anyway any help would be fantastic!!

Thanks guys  :)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: Dash Lights
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:07:05 pm »
That's a low oil pressure light, the ground wire should go to a sender on the bottom of the engine.

Dan

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:08:51 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the LegendsRacer Forum!

The red light should be the light to show that the ignition switch is on.
The other possibility is it could be an oil pressure warning light.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Andrew Williams

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:14:16 pm »
Thank you guys for the replies.

Its annoying here in Australia that there isnt a lot of information on these cars and when i try and get some information from the distributors is like pulling teeth.....

I will look into both options for the red light.

Thank you Steve and Dan!!

Offline canabl

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:33:27 pm »
Plenty of guys in the Sydney club that will help ypu out. Depending on the car and wiring it would mostprobably be the oil warning light that the cars come stock with. May flicker from time to time especially when low oil level after a race or when cornering hard lap after lap and oil staying up in top of motor.
Lots of valuable info on here too when u can search and find it all.
Cheers
Adam Fisher, CANABL Fabrications

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:34:45 pm »
 The red oil light is switched to ground, like Steve said "light is on when the ignition is turned on" as the oil sending unit works as a switch. The circuit is closed when there is no oil pressure and has ground to complete the circuit (light on). Like Dan said, "the ground wire runs through the firewall and leads to the oil sending unit". When the engine is started oil pressure opens ground contact within the sending unit which in turn breaks the ground and makes the light go out. Light will come on while the engine is running and no oil pressure closes the ground circuit within the sending unit also....

Personally I don't use any of the lights on the dash or gauges because they are a distraction. I know when my car is in neutral or don't have oil pressure or if the ignition is on... my preference

~Gimp~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:57 pm »
Thanks for a bit of credit Gimpster. I was thinking the ignition switch light as a first thought.  Upon thinking it through a bit more You, Dan and Adam were correct.
As pointed out, the light is a distraction. It will come on when hard cornering or braking. Not a very accurate gauge of the situation.

Steve

Offline Andrew Williams

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:13:55 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Yes Adam, I have seen your car a lot. Im from Sydney but havent ran the car as its my sons car which he will be racing next season once he turns 16. I am joining the Sydney club this week when i get back from the desert.

I hear good things about the Sydney Club.

Again thanks so much for the feedback guys i owe you all a cold one!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »
Best Of Luck to you and your son for a good 2015 season!
Do be sure to keep us updated in the "How you doing 2015" thread.

Steve