Author Topic: Safety Gear Help  (Read 15650 times)

Offline afsracing12

• AFS Inc
Safety Gear Help
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:28:27 pm »
I am looking for some folks to chime in on the safety gear they use. I have spent more time going back and forth on this then I did buying the car. Its really two items in particular:

Helmet & Seat

I am lost on helmets other than SA2010 of course. I have looked at everything at least twice I think. What are you guys using and how do you like it?
on the seat side I am looking at the kirkey 69 series. I really liked the Lajoie diamond but its up there in price. I am looking exclusively at full containment seats.  any input here would be great.

Thanks Guys
-Bob

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Safety Gear Help
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:05 pm »
Bob,

I have  both  Bell and G-Force helmets. As long as they are current, I guess it is preference or what your budget can afford.
My seat is a modified Kirkey with halo, rib and shoulder supports. LaJoie is very popular as well. Some old threads on seats and safety gear. If you need help finding them, let me know.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Cspidle90

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »
I use a BELL helmet and the Ultra Shield Full Containment seat with Halo. Both are very comfortable.
Spidle Motorsports #09
Central PA Legends

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:47:26 pm »
Helmet(s)- I use Simpson Sharks ($700)- "F" style tear-offs and usually comes with clear & dark shields. Also pre-drilled for neck devices.

Seat- I use kirkey economy series 10 degrees($200 or less) mounted flat to the belly pan so I can extended my legs & feet. I then bolt on the Richardson Racing products wrap around head support ($125) and shoulder supports ($70). I like using the bolt-ons because I can put the eye recesses at my visor level and bend the right side shoulder so my hand goes directly to the gear shifter.

Here's a link to someone asking about the Richardson before: http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=3523.msg28540#msg28540

Neck- I use Necks Gen ($600). I have an extra helmet so 2nd hardware was $80.

I been through some big hits and a flip with these and have walked away with only bruises on my collar bones (belts holding the necks gen).
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:20 pm »
I use a Kirkey seat, NecksGen, and a RaceQuip helmet.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline DoubleZero

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:27 pm »
For the helmet, I use a Simpson carbon fiber.   I know they are expensive but they are lighter.   Lighter means your head won't be thrown forward as fast in a crash.  The momentum equation is mass x velocity = mass x velocity.   Do the math from 70mph to zero with the weight difference.......  It also helps your head not lean as much sideways in oval racing but if you are running a full containment seat the head support helps too.   I made a full containment from my original Richardson seat.  They will sell you the parts on their web site.   Worked out well for me.   These cars are tight so custom building one with your car at the same time is actually a good thing.   It is all aluminum so a decent drill bit and saw will work.   Remember to use the grade 8 hardware of course.   

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:33 am »
I use a Bell K1 Sport helmet (~$400) and have a full containment Butler seat. I don't think you can go wrong with the seat just as long as its a full containment seat.
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline afsracing12

• AFS Inc
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:53 am »
thank you guys for the info!
what degree seat are you guys using and how tall are you?
When I sat in the old seat in the car I believe it was a 20* and my knees were up in the steering wheel. but some seats mfgs I have talked to told me I wont be happy with a 10* I will have to move my feet too much. any input? thanks

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
thank you guys for the info!
what degree seat are you guys using and how tall are you?
When I sat in the old seat in the car I believe it was a 20* and my knees were up in the steering wheel. but some seats mfgs I have talked to told me I wont be happy with a 10* I will have to move my feet too much. any input? thanks

The reason I use a 10 degree seat is to mount it flat to the belly pan and move the bottom of the seat (butt) back against the rear firewall. This keeps my knees out of the steering wheel by extending my legs. Also by extending my legs, I eliminate getting shin splints holding partial throttle under cautions and holding off the brake while racing.

I am 5'-9" (30-32 pants length) and I sit almost straight up & down with my legs only slightly bent while racing.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »
I use a Kirkey seat, NecksGen, and a RaceQuip helmet.

10 degree. I'm 6'1" & 250lbs
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline GriffinBrownRacing

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 09:13:50 pm »
Ultra Shield Full Containment - Halo
And for the helmet,you need to try them on to see what fits your head!!
We tried a lot on and the one that fit my son the best was a Pyrotech!!

Offline afsracing12

• AFS Inc
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:16:54 am »
Thanks guys all great info.
I have a butler seat on order the guys there were very very helpful.
I decided to go with the necksgen will be ordering that soon.
Helmet is still giving me fits. I have spent two days so far this week at summit racing trying on helmets (not the greatest experience)
anyone know of a place around ohio where I can go and try on multiple brands/styles. I am not opposed to traveling some. so far simpson has fit the best. thanks guys!

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »
I've got the Bell K1 sport for the legend car and that's a great helmet for the price, I've run one for 4 years now.  However I do run a simpson shark helmet I run in my super late model.  Both helmets fit good, but be sure like the others have said to try them all on and find out what one fits you the best.

Dan

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:26 pm »
Thanks guys all great info.
I have a butler seat on order the guys there were very very helpful.
I decided to go with the necksgen will be ordering that soon.
Helmet is still giving me fits. I have spent two days so far this week at summit racing trying on helmets (not the greatest experience)
anyone know of a place around ohio where I can go and try on multiple brands/styles. I am not opposed to traveling some. so far simpson has fit the best. thanks guys!

I have NecksGen's in stock in Medium and Large.
vmsmotorsports.com
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 08:51:57 pm »
Jim (VMS Motorsports) also sells Racequip.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything