Author Topic: Helmet fan  (Read 7050 times)

Offline JGRacing

Helmet fan
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:09:08 pm »
Does anyone on here use a helmet blower?  I have used one for a few years and it is a big help (especially keeping my glasses from fogging).  Any advice on hooking one up in a legends car?  I prefer to mount it to the bar behind my seat instead of mounting in in the rear deck (water drained down in it during washing and rusted the motor).  Here is the style that I have (and I promise the last link to Speedway today :) ). 

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2504,195_Tru-Air-Trademark-Pumper.html

Gimpster

Re: Helmet fan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:58:51 pm »
 I used the Tru Air Mini pumper for 3 seasons on dirt, with a G-Force Air helmet
Had issues with the wires entering the pumper from connecting and disconnecting.
Problem solved when changing to a Kirkey full containment seat in my sprint.
Plain and simple, we couldn't use it. Interfeared with the head supports.
Once you race with an air helmet, it is tough to not to afterwards.
When we are up and racing again in '09, my new helmet will be with the top air port design so it will work with a full containment seat
Majority of racers around here with the air unit you have a link to have been mounting it behind the seat head rest.
When mounting it, think of fire. Definately mount the unit above the rear deck !

----- Gimpster -----

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:14:06 am »
Any trick to wiring them, or can I just attach it back by the battery and run it to a switch?

Gimpster

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:28:52 pm »
Any trick to wiring them, or can I just attach it back by the battery and run it to a switch?

If you decide to shortcut the wiring and shoot a sprout straight down to the battery, at least solder a fuse in line. Close to the battery. Also run the wire through a casing or rubber hose.
Had my Mini Pumper wired direct,  encountered a steel guard rail (in which we all know the height of them is taller, for big cars) and after a wrath of contacts with it from both ends of the car, the wires shorted from the rear deck damage.
 During chassis repair, we ran the fan wires up to the ignition with the switch located rearward of the shifter on the driveshaft tunnel. I used a rocker switch so if during a crash that I wouldn't poke a hole in my paw if it were to slap the switch. Anywhere the wiring went around a bend in the sheet metal or through a hole in the metal, we encased the wire with 1/4" fuel line to prevent chaffing of the wire. An inch of prevention goes a mile in safety.

----- Gimpster -----