Author Topic: Broken axle  (Read 14182 times)

Offline JGRacing

Broken axle
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:59:39 am »
What is the best way to get a broken axle out of the tube.  It is on the short side axle, so I might be able to pull the other axle and maneuver the pumpkin out of the housing.  All these years in racing, and I have never had to get a broken axle out of the tube.  

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Broken axle
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:34 am »
I built a axle remover tool. It is a long piece of 1/4 steel round stock and welded it to a pipe that was larger than the axle shaft. The pipe is cut length ways in half. Then insert the cut pipe on the top of the axle and slide it in. Then rotate the pipe to the bottom of the axle and it should hook the axle splice and then pull it out. I hope that makes sence. No sleep and a 18 hour plane ride will do that to you.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:46:04 pm »
It sounds brilliant but I'm not picturing it.  Going to have to work that one out.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:00:54 pm »
If I am picturing it correctly, it sounds like a shovel type deal.  The rod is the handle and the split half of the tubing is the blade that sort of cups the axle.  I guess there is a lip on it to hook the splice on the two piece axles. 

I tried taking a tube and flairing out the end.  Thought that I could tap this onto the end of the axle and get the axle piece wedged in it, but it didn't work. 

I'll try to rig something like this up and see if it works.  I would prefer to not pull the pumlin unless needed.  At least these Toyota gears are lighter than the Ford 9" pumkins.  Those are really heavy, awkward, and being covered in gear oil sure doesn't help.  Not sure how I never killed myself with one of those.

Thanks for the help.       

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:13:35 pm »
I use a piece of  1/4" steel tubing  about two and a half feet longwith a piece of stainless steel mig wire in it. I make like a lasooe out of the wire and run it through the steel tubing with a bolt twisted into the other end. Then slide the tubing  into the axle housing with the loop of the wire bent down, slide the loop of the wire over the broken piece of axle, while holding the tubing pull on the twisted bolt to tighten the wire loop. Then while holding the wire tight pull the whole operation out of the housing.  hope this helps.

Geoff

speedyracing11

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:22:26 am »
I tryed The methed and had a whole day of  bitching at the axil,Becouse it gets wedged in hard..You take the good one out and undo the nuts up front.Pull on the gears,stick a long thin screwdriver behind the axle.Pop it out it sounds easy and is compared to fighting trying to pull it out.1 hour compared to 1/2 day.Good luck.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:51:29 am »
I used something similar to what Scott mentioned.  I took a 3 foot piece of 1 3/4 inch tubing and cut the end at a littl bit of an angle.  On the point of this cut I sawed about 1/2 inch into the point.  The two points on here were hammered up into the tube making something that looks like small fangs.  I just slid this in over the sleeve on the two piece axle and used the fangs to hook the sleeve.  Depending on how stuck it is, this might not work, but it saved me from having to pull the  pumkin last night.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

John

speedyracing11

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:06:31 pm »
Yes i am glad you got it out.What about the small broken chunks,and fragments of metal still in there.I still would pull it apart.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 06:13:30 pm »
That's probably a good idea before the season starts. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 09:15:40 pm »
I'm with Speedy on this one.
Anytime something goes south in the rear end, pull it apart. Clean everything good. Then reassemble.
Granted, I hate gear oil. Nasty Stuff!  But, cheap enough; and better safe than sorry!

My .02 for what you think it's worth.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

speedyracing11

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 11:24:40 am »
When mine broke it was on the welded sectionBy driving it into the pits the parts are rubbing together.We did find chunks and fragments.Better safe than sorry in muy book.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 02:08:22 pm »
What is the best way to clean the pumkin without a parts washer? 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:22:31 pm »
Car Wash, or some high pressure soap and water; blow everything dry.
As for the housing; if it's out of the car, do the same. If it's still in the car; wipe it out the best you can.

Steve

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 03:04:25 am »
In rockcrawling, you have to deal with big 1.5" alloy shafts. When they snap, the shaft can blow right out of the axle tube itself.  Damn scary!
I have found that a great way to remove the end thats still in the tube, along with any fragmentation, it with an magnet.  You can order rare earth magnets online.  Just epoxy one to the end of a wooden dowel or a non ferris metal pole, and bingo!
Then you can grab the shaft and pull it right out.
*Only in automotive forums can you say that and not have it misconstrued.*
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 03:20:35 am »
LOL!!!!

So True.

:D :D :D

Steve