Author Topic: Neutral safety light  (Read 7059 times)

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

Neutral safety light
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:39:53 pm »
Just bought a used legends car from a guy that hasn't raced it much over the last few years. The car has no gauges and only has a starter button, ignition switch, and fan switch on the dash. I know that there is supposed to be a neutral safety light, but since i'm new to these cars I don't know where the connection is on the engine (1250 sealed), or what wiring is required. Are there any circuit diagrams for these cars floating around? I found a wire coming out of the firewall labelled neutral switch, but can't find anything on the engine to plug into it. Does anyone have a picture of the neutral switch on the engine  or  can you describe the area that it should be located?

Possibly an idea what year range or model bike these engines came out of could help me research.

-Jason

Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline canabl

Re: Neutral safety light
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:24:27 pm »
There should be a white plastic peice on the back of the motor near oil filter etc that has wiring to it for the neitral switch. Depending on the harness in the car a wire picks up from there and runs to the harness which passes through firewall. usually a green bulb there with the red for oil. Most put a selector gauge in there to help with gear selection instead of trying to remeber what gear you are in for starts and after spins.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:28:19 am »
Note:
The gear selector gauge is a 6 pin set up and not a single wire.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline canabl

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:01:01 am »
Note:
The gear selector gauge is a 6 pin set up and not a single wire.

Steve
Correct Steve, if it had a gear indicator (post said had no gauges) there will be a 6 pin setup with its own 6 pin plug. If its the stock one, there will be just the neutral pin wired, i think it has a glued in screw on my old car.

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:17:42 am »
I found the white plastic piece on the back side of the engine. There is a green colored wire coming from it. I don't have the neutral light but I'm guessing that it has 2 terminals, one for the wire in from the neutral switch, and the other is a ground?
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »
Yes. You can buy whatever color light you would like. Pick one up at Radio Shack, local electronics store, whatever.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline albertjames

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »
Remove the red wire...it is "jumping" it to ground all the time...It should only ground when actually in neutral and the "head" positioning completes the circuit.....I'll get a pic of my 160 neutral switch in the next couple of days for you....
Sanford and Son Junk Cars - Junk Cars Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia

anything