Author Topic: Hanging rear axle or "A" arm cables  (Read 9692 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Hanging rear axle or "A" arm cables
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:23:17 am »
I'm sure some of you watched the Nationwide (Bush) race yesterday and saw them cutting the chain on Dale Jr's car that supports the rear axle from dropping when they jack up the car to change tires.

This got me to thinking about how this same technology could be applied to our cars.  It has several uses that I think could be very helpful.  No more blocks under the rear axle, no more LF dropping down to the full extension of the shock when you jack it up.

I was thinking about using cable instead of chain so it would not kink up.

I have not seen anywhere that this would be illegal.  What do you guys think?

Tom

Offline gramps05

Re: Hanging rear axle or "A" arm cables
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:35:47 pm »
Great idea, wanted to do the same myself but the rule book states if it does not specifically say that you can change, modify/add something then it is illegal. Don't make much sense in some cases.....

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:41:50 pm »
It also says something about writing to them for express permission, and keeping the letter authorizing a change with you at all race events...

With that in mind, I'd suspect that if an idea is truly a good idea, and doesn't give an unfair advantage, or make racing more costly, they may just approve.  It's worth a try if you're really serious.  Write and ask.  What have you got to loose?  So far it's a no, but maybe it could be a yes... 

Good luck,
Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:42:26 am »
Called limiting straps.
They are used in other forms of racing.
I've seen chain, cable and straps used.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »
Hey gramps, what if they were removable?  Something quick and dirty for use while pitting, but that could be easily removed before hitting the track?  That wouldn't be the optimal trick, but maybe better than nothing??

Limit straps...thanks for the correct term.  I will ask about their use and see what comes of it.  I'm sure the only question would come if there was some whay that they could be exploited as a suspension improvement during actual race conditions.

Offline gramps05

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:30:29 am »
At one time we made s0me "S" type hooks that were installed from the upper frame to the housing when needed but found that blocking worked just as well, chain or cable is the way to go if you can do it. Our Modified has blocks that are U shaped and the axle tubes drop right into them when the car is jacked, they are bolted right to the frame.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:09 pm »
I remember being told stories here by one racer that had made some wooden wedges that he used between the axle tube and the frame.  Trouble is remembering to take out the wedge before hitting the track.  He says a couple of times the yellow flag would be thrown to remove some debris from the track, and he'd pass by the debris to discover he'd forgotten to remove the wedge before hitting the track again...  His were not bolted in, just wedged in.

Somehow, I see myself doing the same thing.  Still, I'm likely to craft up some wedges with an indent for the tube myself.  Maybe I'll tie a string onto it and tie that to the door handle...   8)

Mike

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »
forgotten to remove the wedge before hitting the track again... 

Done that!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:51:33 pm »
I found one of these on eBay. Might be the thing to do the trick. You can use a strap and put a hook on the end to attach to this bracket.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:08:15 pm »
Steve lives on e-bay and legends racer.  If it's on e-bay, Steve has looked at it, and thought about buying it.  If he doesn't want to buy it, he always passes it along.  I'm glad he doesn't have a car together yet.  If he did, he'd have much less time to keep us informed!

Thanks Steve!

Mike  ;)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
SO i read the first post in this and it says the left front dropping all the way down.  I started a thread about the left front and how mine drops further than the right.  Is this common?

jon8j

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:37:31 am »
the yellow flag would be thrown to remove some debris from the track
Back in my days as a track worker, I'd often have to walk out after the Bandos' race and pick up the wedges used to set chain tension.  It was always real funny, except when I recognized them as having fallen outta my kid's car!
Jon

anything